Hi all, I'm new to embedded scene, and totally lost here. I'm looking to design a totally stand-alone weather station and need to select a device for this. Requirements are:
- low power consumption, ability to feed off single voltage (~12V solar power)
- 2x RS232 ports
- Ethernet (10Mbit will be fine)
- solid-state disk (regular HDDs will consume too much power, and probably won't work outdoors)
- ability to run "conventional" Linux that I can manage using shell access. I'll also need to run Python and Perl on the box. Internet connectivity will be either IPv4 (DHCP, ethernet), or PPP via serial. Having a small MySQL server would be nice but I can probably live without it - it's probably going to require too much disk space anyway
- CPU-wise requirements are very low - basically it needs to poll serial port every second, and send off aggregated data every minute or so
- extremely stable - will need to run unattended for months
- cheap! This is my personal project!
Any recommendations appreciated!