GSM/GPRS connection from a balloon

Hello Everybody,

Expert advise required on GSM/GPRS connection;

I want to send/receive data to/from a balloon carrying some sensor. Initially balloon will be tight to a rope and will rise gradually in human control. It will send altitude, temperature, humidity, windspeed, GPS data via GSM/GPRS module to a control computer and to a mobile phone on the ground. It will also receive some remote control commands through the same communication channel.

- How high the balloon can rise before GSM/GPRS signal vanishes? - Is there a legal altitude limit for GSM/GPRS operation? - Which GSM/GPRS modules you would recommend for the balloon and for the computer (please consider the price and locality as Australia)? - Do you know any similar project or any open project which can help me to learn more on GSM/GPRS data communication?

Thank you

Albert

Reply to
Albert Goodwill

The time slot adjustment limits the distance to base station to 35 km, although the phone will show strong base station signals from base stations further away, but you can not get a connection.

The base station antenna radiation pattern is centered below the horizon and you usually have a deep null directly upwards. Thus, you might not get a connection directly above the base station, even if the balloon is flying below 35 km. However, in practice, any buildings or objects could reflect the signal from directly above into the antenna main lobe.

You have to check the national regulations, some countries ban the airborne operation of most radio transmitters.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

What you are proposing is probably illegal, I think it is in the UK. If it isn't, the best unit to use is the Telit GM862 or the GE863-GPS. The latter is the smallest GPRS/GPS unit available, but is in a BGA package which makes it a bit diificult to use. I've designed a simple PCB for it which uses a PIC16F88 as the controller.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

Check out:

Glyn

Reply to
Glyn Davies

See:

Deep.

Reply to
Deep Reset

Interesting project.

Your website mentions that you also use the 433MHz band for communications.

Did you buy preassembled equipment for that, or did you just buy some of the

433MHz RF modules and build your own comms board ?

Thanks for any information,

Simon.

Microsoft: Bringing you 1980's technology to a 21st century world
Reply to
Simon Clubley

Not my website - I was just passing on the link.

I imagine you can contact them for more info.

Cheers,

Glyn

Reply to
Glyn Davies