Ubuntu versus Fedora for cross-development host

It is time to upgrade my Fedora cross-development host machine.

But before I do --

Is Ubuntu suitable for use as a cross-development host, or should I stick with Fedora?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks.

Jim

Reply to
jimthomasembedded

If you are familiar with Fedora, why are you seeking to change distributions?

I would say both distributions are very mainstream, but the userbase of Fedora is probably slightly larger.

Reply to
larwe

I have long used and prefer Debian on headless systems and running as VMWare virtual machines. Ubuntu is Debian based, so if I go to Ubuntu for a graphics rich Debian environment running Eclipse and other GUI cross-development tools, I might like the Ubuntu/Debian environment better than Fedora (apt-get versus RPM/yum, etc.).

The counter-argument might be that Ubuntu targets desktop users and is a platform for delivering eye-candy and lots of MP3 players, but is not a serious cross-development platform in a commercial setting.

I can just try it and see what I like best, but I thought some embedded users out there might be using Ubuntu for cross-development already, and share their recommendations.

Reply to
jimthomasembedded

I do and I switched from Debian to Ubuntu recently. I got used to apt-get and didn't want to relearn. I mostly use an Eclipse-based IDE for embedded development.

I did have to mess around to get USB drivers for my JTAG debugger to work since the embedded tool vendor officially didn't support Ubuntu. I had to hand-edit some udev rules and permissions to get it going but first I had to learn what udev is.

Just out of curiosity - what would make one distribution more or less palatable to you?

Andrew

Reply to
andrew queisser

Yes. No. If paid user support is of high interest, then Fedora might be of more interest.

 [page]:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

That's a little hard to express.

Red Hat was my favorite in the early days, when the spirit of the product was driven by developers scratching their own itch. I almost dropped out after using Red Hat 7 and 8, but returned for Red Hat 9, which was excellent.

I was disappointed when Red Hat shifted their focus, there was no Red Hat 10, and they made a half-hearted effort at spinning out Fedora Core. I switched to Debian at home (Sarge and Etch), and have been very happy. Debian still seems to be made by people with talent, who are motivated by engineering excellence.

I have continued to use Fedora at work, and it is fine, but there is something about it that smacks of 'me too', and second best. I haven't used Ubuntu, but I am drawn to it because it is Debian based, and it seems to have a very large and enthusiastic user community.

I prefer Debian headless (ssh/telnet, vim, and command line tools), but Eclipse GUI single-step debugging wrapped around gdb/gdbserver makes a Linux GUI interesting for cross-development. (I prefer printf for debugging, but I need to set up Eclipse GUI debugging for some other folks.) So if I need to go with a GUI, then I am attracted to Debian based Ubuntu, but in the end I will probably stay with Fedora since it is mainstream, and a shorter hop to Red Hat Enterprise Linux when that is necessary.

Thanks to all who responded.

Reply to
jimthomasembedded

I mainly use Ubuntu for my machines (avr & arm cross devel) , but depending on needs i would suggest to have a look at CentOs (witch essentialy is a RH Enterprise server).

You would keep the redhat interface (yum tec.) , and afaik. if you change one line in CentOs , to say its a Redhat Enterprise. Then all the commercial packages like Xilinx Webpack etc. Installs cleanly as they beleive they are on a RHE server.

Regards Carsten

Reply to
Carsten