Dirt cheap 8051 camera

Slashdot had an article on a hackable $10 "disposable" digital camera. The actual technical story that they link to seems to be still slashdotted, but from various comments, this sounds like a nice little unit for anyone that wants a cheap 8051 platform to play with. (And it takes pictures.) Can't go too wrong for $10. Batteries might be included. Grab some before the stores yank them. (They make money on the "processing" and recycle the cameras.) It might make a simple USB controller.

Posted by CmdrTaco on 09:57 AM December 14th, 2003 from the photos-on-the-cheap dept. Powercntrl writes "While the Ritz version of the PureDigital single-use camera was recently hacked, the Walgreens version wasn't - until now. Codeman, the same guy who brought us the I-Opener hack, found a way to add a standard Smartmedia interface to the Walgreens camera and extract images with a standard Smartmedia reader. Links to sample images showing the camera's quality are included."

Slow as hell, but it's going further than before... Still slow... *sigh* I'll try tonight.

--
Ron Sharp.
Reply to