Serious power dirt cheap

There are a bunch of used HP common rail power supplies for sale on
eBay. They have a 12v output at 62 amps (750 watts) and you can get one
for less than $30 post free. Made by HP for data centre use they are top
quality and very efficient. There are a bunch of sites on the interwebs
showing how to use them, there is also mod to up the voltage to 13.8v too.

Re: Serious power dirt cheap

URL?

Re: Serious power dirt cheap
https://www.ebay.com/itm/232053356496

Re: Serious power dirt cheap

That is cheap. I see there are some 1500W common slot PSUs fairly cheap
too. Even the ones that require shipping from the US, the shipping is
fairly cheap (~$40) considering the weight.

I'm not sure that I can think of a use for one right now though.
Tempting all the same.

Re: Serious power dirt cheap

I think I've seen similar (or the same) 12V server PSUs over a year
ago on Ebay, so they'll probably still be around if you want one
later.

I've got a 30V 80A DC PSU, originally part of a TV transmitter, for
when I get around to some induction heating experiments. On single
phase it only gets up to 28V though, and just 50A according to the
bloke I bought it from.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Serious power dirt cheap

I have several 50V 120A supply boards here, also from an analog TV
transmitter (and the PA modules too, excluding all heatsinks). I'm
scared enough of them that they're not even stored near any cables that
could be used to connect them! Three phase, of course.

Re: Serious power dirt cheap
I could use that if you ever want to get rid of it, 28v DC is a common
power supply for aircraft.

Re: Serious power dirt cheap

I'll keep that in mind, though it's quite compact compared to a lot
of the other stuff taking up space.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Serious power dirt cheap

Mine arrived today, a very nicely made unit as you would expect from HPs
professional side. Smaller than I expected but quite heavy, I'm thinking
of getting another and stacking them for 24v.

Re: Serious power dirt cheap

Is one side of the output grounded like in ATX supplies? I have always
felt a bit uneasy about disconnecting the output from ground on those,
as I don't know whether they rely on the connection from Protective
Earth to the secondary of the transformer as the means of preventing
unsafe voltages on the output in the event that the primary - secondary
insulation of the transformer happens to fail. The secondary winding is
thick enough that I can imagine some manufaturers trying to use that
strategy to pass safety testing rather than extra layers of
inter-winding insulation.

Yesterday I found one of those server power supplies in a skip, along
with the rest of the server that it came from. It is a Dell brand, not
sure whether those have been reverse engineered (like the HP) yet to
allow me to fool it into turning on without the rest of the server. The
server is from about 2007? so I am guessing probably not worth putting
much effort into using it as a computer anymore. It has a Xeon E 5420
but someone already took out the RAM and hdd so I haven't tried booting
it. Lots of nice fans in it, and OSCONs and MOSFETs etc for the core
voltage regulators.

If you want 24V, from time to time Rockby have offered a Wipos P1 24-20
DIN rail mounting 24V 480W fanless SMPS, but I recall that it was more
than $100. Up to 3 of them can be put in parallel.

Site Timeline