disposable camera flash circuit

I want to alter a circuit:

I took out the flash circuitry (board, bulb and battery) from a Kodak disposable camera. The main flash electrolytic capacitor is rated at

330v and 84 mfd. ( I think 84 is the value, but don't have with me at this time)

The cap charge comes from a single AA 1.5v cell. It looks like within the flash circuit there is a small transformer with a transistor oscillator circuit that does the duty of raising the voltage.

I have a non-photographic application for this type of circuit. After removing the flash bulb I need to change the cap by replacing it with one rated at 600-660v.

QUESTIONS (2):

(1) Would it be possible to use TWO cells in series [3v] instead of just the one in order to charge the replacement cap at it's 660v rating?

1.5v cell---> 330v 2 =D7 1.5v cells [3v]-----> 660v ?

(2) Would other devices of the circuit need to be changed if the input voltage is doubled as described?

I like the idea of getting use out of something that is commonly available and that would ordinarily be thrown away (disposable) after using.

Important safety reminder: if you ever experiment with one of the flash units don't forget to discharge the capacitor before handling. When I discharged the one in my flash circuit it was remarkably loud and powerful enough to leave a small bead of molten chrome steel on my screwdriver!

Reply to
Grostle News

Maybe, but it may cause the active electronics to lose their magic smoke :-(

The resistor for the "ready" indicator should be doubled in value.

Reply to
John

No. The tube is designed for that capacitor - no more voltage, no more capacity.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

You haven't mentioned what you plan for this, but I've seen Web pages devoted to making your own radiation detector that use disposable flash units (minus the flash tube). You might try searching along those lines, maybe include "scintillation counter" or even "Geiger counter" in the search.

Best regards,

Bob Masta dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom D A Q A R T A Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Signal Generator Science with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta

You can "Rube Goldberg" two disposable camera flash units together. Remove the flash tubes. Than do this:

1) Wire the (-) side of the cap (cap1) in camera 1 to the (+) side of the cap (cap2) in camera 2. 2) Install a spdt switch in camera 1, with the common connected to the (+) of cap1 Then:

existing New discharge pushbutton camera 1 __ circuit ----o o-------o o---+ | \\ | | o | | + | | | [Cap1] | | | [600 volt device] +---->|-----+ | + | | [Cap2] | | | | | +----------------+

Both the spdt switch and the pushbutton must be rated for > 600V.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

It might work just like you want, double the input, double the output

- or the oscillator might pull enough current to kill the oscillator transistor. Ideally, I'd creep up the voltage with a variable source and watch for smoke and feel the transistor and resistors to find hot ones.

Or ditch the flash tube, replace the cap with a higher voltage one and try it - especially if you don't mind losing the first one you practice on. The output may exceed the normal voltage because efficiency improves as voltage goes up - the required transistor drop is met and everything over that goes to producing more output. There's always a safety factor built in with a higher voltage cap than the expected voltage and the electrolytic you use might withstand more than its rating by a few percent.

Your use of the output may be more benign than what the camera intended and that could also work in your favor - the oscillator pulls more current when it is charging the cap from zero - flash it a lot of times quickly and it works the oscillator harder.

We could use more data on the use . . .

Newsgroups
default

Hi Bob, you wrote and guessed what I was going to use the circuit for (Geiger counter):

You are a very good guesser and I will emloy your search strategy.

Thanks

gn

Reply to
Grostle News

Thanks to "Rube Goldberg" and "default" for sharing your worthy knowledge and circuit design/conversion ideas.

saxum, g.n.

Reply to
Grostle News

Hi John, thanks for your assistance. You included info about the possibility of overheating:

LOL!! I know about the "magic smoke", Over the years I've seen quite a bit of it wafting upward in its enigmatical way and then disappearing into thin air!!

saxum g.n.

Reply to
Grostle News

Ever seen it coming out of the boss's new $250,000 molding machine?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

No, but it is that type of thing that makes electronics a hobby for me, and not a career.

saxum g.n.

Reply to
Grostle News

That's what happens whenever Homer messes with something. No wonder his favorite beer is called Duff. :(

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Nope. That's what happens when you let the Yanks build one instead of the Swiss.

--
.
.

Just slightly off track, these cameras are also a good source of no-cost batteries (aa or aaa) for experimenters with limited means - just ask the local photo processing shop and they will give them to you by the dozens - but note the safety warning given by Grostle News

David

Grostle News wrote:

Reply to
quietguy