Disposable Mobile Phones

Howcome they are popular in the US and UK yet they've not made an appearance here?

The US has had them for the last 3 years or so and the UK too but I've never heard of anyone trying to market them here

Reply to
Kissing Lettuce

I've never seen them since I've been living in the UK.

Apart from the environmental concerns, to me it seems like a pretty silly idea for economic reasons also.

Reply to
Chris Jones

Do we need them? There's enough plastic bottles and fast food packaging laying around, do we need more trash? Tom

Reply to
Tom

I've never seen one in the US, but I do see the prepay type that you can add minutes to by buying them in blocks. The cards are available a lot of places, and the cell phones are low end models, probably refurbs.

--
Link to my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project website deleted
after threats were telephoned to my church.

Couldn't the $50 ones be considered disposable already :-)

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Vodafone had a deal a few months back selling some Motorola phone for $30. It was advertised as the 'Disposable Mobile'.

They sold out very quickly.

Reply to
Frank Jones

Most current phones are disposable. Let's see how many of the phones sold today are still in working condition in three years.

Reply to
nva

Thats because we already have cheap NON-DISPOSABLE phones

Reply to
Michael

You are lucky to get a good 12-15 mths out of any new phone now

Reply to
Michael

Michael wrote

Bullshit.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Of course they're disposable, they just aren't marketed as such.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

What are you talking about? In the seven years I've lived in the UK, I've never once heard anyone (or even in uk.telecom.mobile!) talk of a disposable phone.

Point me to where I can buy a phone marketed as such...

--
Cheers,

Jason.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jason

I have been lucky then. had a kyocera CDMA 3245 for about 2 years, no problem

i notice too that telstra techs still use the old model kyocera phones that have been around for many many years

Reply to
KLR

Spectacular logic, and deduction.

I take my hat off to you

Reply to
Michael

The ones I am talking about have only a kepad and no display. They can only dial a few preset numbers as well.

Here's some URLs that look interesting

Supposedly invented in 2001

Kissing Lettuce

Interesting reading, but...

Apart from the first URL saying"TI's DRP technology may also have big implications for companies in the UK", there's not a single mention of any of those being available in the UK.

--
Cheers,

Jason.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jason

Pathetic excuse for bullshit.

Reply to
Rod Speed

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:35:45 +1000, nva put finger to keyboard and composed:

IME, the relatively high price of replacement batteries is what renders a phone disposable.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

a good 12-15 mths out of any new phone now

I agree, your response was

Reply to
Michael

Disagree, nowadays.