Blackfin SPI slave boot mode

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the Analog Devices Blackfin SPI slave boot mode operation?

I'm trying to get it to work and the device will not boot. I need some ideas on things to look at that aren't mentioned in the EE-240 app note. I believe I've followed the app note religiously but I don't get any life out of the Blackfin. A major problem is that the device gives no feedback during the processes.

My target firmware program has been tested to work as I want using VDSP++. It simply toggles a pin. I made sure the HWAIT pin is properly assigned in the loader file options box.

Can anyone please help me? Thanks.

John Speth.

Reply to
johnspeth

Yes, I did that. Which Blackfin in particular do you use? Note: not all of the Blackfins and not all of the silicon revisions support the SPI slave boot mode. Review the errata and the rev. info on your chip.

Make sure you have the pulldown resistor on the PFx line. Also make sure that the SPI on your host is configured into mode 1.

I know. It took me some time to make it work.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant

Vladimir Vassilevsky

If the Blackfin SPI boot mode is anything like that of the ADSP-21161 SHARC, then you might have two problems:

  • The 21161 SPI boot code had bugs in it.

  • The 21161 loader produced an incorrect image file.

I know this doesn't exactly help, but it gives you some places to look.

Marc

Reply to
Marc Guardiani

Hey can anyone of you explain the spi boot process in a blackfin processor? I am basically interested in what all PF can i use... Chip select.. etc... What is the stream format and how it exactly works.. I am aware of the booting process from Flash...

Reply to
adonis

Go to

and get the AN-240.