A fileevent question

Hello out there, just asking for inspiration. I have a simulation which executes commands - everything ok. But now the program should also communicate with external hardware via a serial connection and that is the problem:

- I don't want to block waiting for an answer since I also have a GUI.

- Turning to file events I now have the problem that the simulation cannot continue before a particular call to the hardware is complete: It may ask the hardware for a particular value which is to be used in the next command.

So my question is: How do I block execution of the simulation part until an answer arrives /without/ blocking the whole app?

- An attempt to use 'vwait' resulted in the whole app freezing.

- A separate thread would probably solve this problem.

- A coroutine would instinctively be a "lighter" solution but I have so far never used coroutines and didn't find an example which seemed to "fit" my situation.

- Any other way ...

Any idea, tip or link will be greatly appreciated Helmut

Reply to
Helmut Giese

Sorry, wrong news group. Helmut

Reply to