Two-coil Gauge Movement

Anyone know where I might get a Two-coil Gauge Movement...

Pointer location by vector sum of coil currents.

MANY years ago I recall a chip project that drove a Stewart-Warner two-coil movement, but I can't locate anything but complete gauges. ...Jim Thompson

I don't think I've necessarily seen one of those in real life. Got a link to a picture?

I don't suppose a crossed-needle meter would do it for you? MFJ Enterprices has those available -- page 78 of the catalog here:

Joel Koltner

It occurs to me that I could also use a model airplane servo + pot, IF it was flat enough (

They were the ancient car gauges, didn't need a regulator for accuracy, since they were basically a bridge.

Nope :-( ...Jim Thompson

GM used them. Try a junkyard or antique car club.

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!

I need 270° span.

That might work. But it's a low power application, but also very slow movement. ...Jim Thompson

Vector sum the two inputs in a PIC (or analog, if that's your preference) and drive a single coil D'Arsonval movement.

Or have the PIC drive a little stepper motor.

You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the
means he uses to frighten you. -- Eric Hoffer
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Moving iron meter?

Reply to
Jamie

I've read that some modern automobile instrument-cluster gauges use a cross-coil movement... both fuel and tach gauges may be of this type. This design allows the engine control unit to drive the meter with a pair of PWM signals, giving good precision about the resulting vector angle without having to worry much about (e.g.) resistance in the wiring, and can also allow the meter setting to be retained when power is removed and both coil currents drop to zero.

Dave Platt

AKA the electrodynamometer? You're nearly the old fart I am; I not only remember them, I remembered the name. ;>)

Unfortunately, they seem to be pretty much extinct.

There's this:

They were common as dirt on benchtops and in automotive applications at one time but that time seems to be past...

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752

I remember seeing meters that will do that. Old war surplus stuff. Look at what Surplus Sales of Nebraska has to offer: (MTR)550RP Stewart Warner Speedometer (!) (MTR)30-01274 Phastron sealed ruggedized meter, 0-15V (MTR)409C610A25 Westinghouse KX241 0=50uA nuclear meter, scale reads 0-1 (MTR)M1957 Nuclear heavy duty, 0-15A (just rat out the shunt if inside) (MTR)643-314 Phastron 0-100A, links with any 50mV shunt (MTR)AT-300 AEA/Vectronic, is a dual needle beastie, limited angle, 200uA (MTR)MMI-10628 GE giant nuclear electronic frequency meter 55-65Hz; needle travels about 270 degrees - EXACTLY what you do not need except the travel is there.

** That is from the paper catalog #8 (old); on-line may not have some and others maybe available now.
Reply to
Robert Baer

AFAIK all of those have limited angle.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Yep. The 270° span got me to thinking old S-W gauges. ...Jim Thompson

Have it wake up, read the inputs and calculate, set the stepper position and then go back to sleep.

--
Paul Hovnanian  paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.

We use Switec stepper motors for this type of application. Designed as automobile 'meters', but actually a very small stepper motor, full 360 deg rotation. You need to provide an end stop to give you a zero point reference. Nice pointers are available.

Regards,

Adrian Jansen           adrianjansen at internode dot on dot net
Note reply address is invalid, convert address above to machine form.
Reply to
Adrian Jansen

*Snip*

Used on early jeeps, MB/GPWs, CJ5's, 3A's & early 3B's. these show up as NOS on Ebay all the time.

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer