Driving a stepper motor smoothly?

First of all, what is the appropriate newsgroup for questions about stepper motors? On with the actual question:

Is there a reasonably priced option for driving stepper motors smoothly, i.e., not having them stop and start every 1.8 (or 0.9) degrees? I have some 200 step/rev motors that I would like to drive at speeds ranging from 0.1 to 4 RPM in one application and 0.4 to 16 RPM in another. I would prefer a system that has already been designed by someone who knows what they are doing, though I would not mind doing some kit assembly if it came to that.

--
Please reply to:            | "Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is
pciszek at panix dot com    |  indistinguishable from malice."

That is why they are called 'stepper' motors... If you want smooth then use a standard motor and a gear box.

Reply to
PeterD

Not this one.

*-operation+sci.electronics.equipment-Test-lab-*-*-*-*+test.equipment.laboratory.equipment.*.industrial.equipment+zz-zz+qq+already-available-solutions+The.equipment.group

Perhaps

As Peter said, you're barking up the wrong tree.

**Discrete steps** is the nature of the device.
JeffM

I agree with Peter and Jeff, if you need a smooth rotation you are on the wrong way. Anyways, you can double or multiply by four the steps per revolution driving the motor with the half steps technique or the half-excitation state method.

See the link below:

There, you can find a little complex schematics too (I guess it may be done easier by a microcontroller instead).

Remember that the real problem with step motors in half and quarter steps driving, is that the torque is hard to sustain in the gaps between the two mechanical steps.

Have a great day.

Massimo

Reply to
Max65

I did design a stepper motor driver for a torque loading machine. The voltage optical isolators were alread on the machine. It merely used a 555 variable duty cycle pulse generator triggered by a computer I/O line. The mechanical loader had a gearbox and screwdrive when I inserted it into the $100K system. It was just a small circuit board with a few wires to connect to the unit.

Reply to
David Wright

Like most said, a stepper is "jerky" by nature. OTOH, since you have very small RPM requirements, you could probably run the stepper very fast but using enough gear reduction so that the steps are too small to be of concern. A worm gear on the shaft of the stepper engaging a largeish gear would give good results IMO. Perhaps you could hack up something from an inkjet printer.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

The buzzword is "Microstepping", where you replace the binary drive with sinusoidal currents. You can get resolution around 100 times finer than the step size, but accuracy depends on having waveforms that match the motor characteristics.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier

Mark Zenier wrote:

Cool.

*-*-*-*-*-*-noise+Gentler+accuracy+magnetic.backlash+*-*-*-does-not-*-*-*-*-actually-move+compelling.reasons+inc+*-*-*-Problems

Reply to
JeffM