where to find multimeter probe for connecting to male DB connectors?

Hello,

I want to test the pin-to-pin connections on cables and am using a multimeter in impedance mode to test cable pin outs. I have alligator, banana and standard probes but the problem with them is that they touch adjacent pins and are ackward to work with. I once saw a probe that has a female connector which slides over a single pin on male cable connectors but have not been able to find one in any electronic stores or even online. Can anyone tell me what the name of this probe is and where I can order from?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Get some of the crimp pins for the "D" connectors and make your own. BTW, "DB" refers the the shell size, the most common being 25 pin.

The other common method is to use a "Solder Pot" "D" seines connector that mates to what you're testing. Then you have two rows of terminals per connector you can test with a normal probe.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hello Michael,

Thanks for the suggestions. If I cannot find an existing probe then I will look into making them. Having said that, I would still prefer to buy existing cables so if there are any suggestions as to where I can find one I would appreciate that. Thanks again.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Hi, Ian. Mike's got the best idea -- sometimes, the only way to do it is to roll your own. I've never heard of what you're requesting being available as a purchase part. It'll be easy to make -- if you want a "professional" look, just put some shrink wrap over the solder joint or crimp. That will also add a little strain relief.

By the way, please bottom post. Since you're a Google person, please read Google Groups Help Topic "What's good 'netiquette' when posting to Usenet?"

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris