Best PCB to PCB connectors

I need to link up/attach two pcb's together.

Whats the best connector for the bus lines? I need at least 40 pins. Someone suggested I use the same connector used on an IDE harddrive and on PC motherboards.

But I dont know the name of that connector and cabling (i call it IDE cables)?

I need to know the name of those jumper pins arranged in 2 rows of 20 Plus I would need a means of crimping my own cables

Anyone have any ideas? I am ruling out cardedge connectors for now since I need to mount the boards horizontal to one another

Reply to
samIam

40 pin shrouded male headers (20 x 2) 0.1" pitch and 40 pin IDC female connectors, and some 40 pin 0.050" pitch flat cable (1.27mm). Check catalogs for part numbers from your favorite connector suppliers.

You can use a vice/vise to do the crimping. No big deal for small quantity. Use strain reliefs on the connectors if you want.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Hi samlam

I have used 2.54" pitch shrouded IDC headers and sockets to interconnect PCB's, the same as used on hard drives etc. They are not small profile but are cheap and reliable, and are available in straight and right-angle mounting. Some manufacturers are Molex and Multicomp. To attach cables to these headers, you can use ribbon cable in which case a hammer will suffice to close the connector onto the cable, or crimped stranded wire in which case a cheap crimper from your discount hardware store will do or a regular pliers will also do albeit a bit fiddly. For connector manufacturers links visit the connectors page on my electronic engineering website business directory:

Best regards Alan

electronic-eng.com

Sorry, that should be 2.54mm not 2.54" !

Reply to
electronic-eng.com

A *Hammer* !?? Us real proffessionals use a bench vise! :)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Admittedly a bench vise is better, but I would imagine the majority are more likely to have a hammer than a bench vise available to them ;)

Reply to
electronic-eng.com

Guys, Both methods are pretty dodgey. Careful assembly with the vise would definitely be less likely to fail if assembled by someone that knew how not to overstress the part or the wire connections. If you read the detailed descriptions on assembly/reliability of those connector types, you will find that there are limitations not only on force applied to the connector but also finished clinching height. The finished clinching height ensures that the wires are not over inserted (yes that is very possible), deforming the contacts and causing unreliable connections.

--
Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

"electronic-eng.com"  wrote in message

> John Devereux wrote:
>> "electronic-eng.com"  writes:
>>

>> A *Hammer* !?? Us real proffessionals use a bench vise! :)
>>

>> --
>>
>> John Devereux
>
> Admittedly a bench vise is better, but I would imagine the majority are
> more likely to have a hammer than a bench vise available to them ;)

Reply to
Brad Velander

Just thought I should clarify here that my "real proffessionals use a bench vise" comment was supposed to be humorous!

--

John Devereux
Reply to

I use a pair of "vice grips"

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

I just put it on the floor and stand on it.

Reply to
Paul Burke

The $30 or so a decent Record vise/vice costs (a small one with hard plastic jaw liners), is well, well worth it. I can't imagine a hammer producing reliable results.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

John, It seemed as though you were being facetious but I stated it just for the benefit of the doubt.

I know a lot of people do use vises and think nothing of it, but they obviously haven't seriously read the literature with respect to connection reliability. I have on rare occasions used a vise as well but with a great deal of caution and knowing the technical details and possible ramifications. I was also doing my best to ensure that I didn't over clench the part.

--
Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

"John Devereux"  wrote in message

> Just thought I should clarify here that my "real proffessionals use a
> bench vise" comment was supposed to be humorous!
>
> --
>
> John Devereux
Reply to
Brad Velander

I'd suggest that unless you're in a production environment and worrying about yield, connection reliability decreases due to less-than-perfectly-crimped connections is probably the least of your worries. Far more often I've just seen build put the connectors on backwards, off one row, skewed at an angle, etc.! :-)

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Hammer, vice, feet, you forehead, whatever! These suggestions are only for hobbyists and quick prototyping on your bench. For actual production cable assemblies shipping to customers you should definately use the manufacturers recommended kit for maximum reliability.

Alan

electronic-eng.com