Agilent probe power connectors

I was thinking of powering some of my own hacked-up scope/spectrum analyzer probes from the "probe power" connectors on most newer Agilent spectrum analyzers and VNAs (you get +15V and -12.6V -- handy), and did some Googling to get part numbers. I didn't have much luck, so I posted to Agilent's forum, where a helpful Agilent employer clued me into the part numbers, with pictures and pricing available on

Probe Power cable connectors --

5060-0466 - female connector assembly, $39.38 5040-0494 - sleeve, female connector, $76.58

Those prices are just insane -- $116 for a dinky little 3-pin plastic connector!

Clearly Agilent has no interest in people homebrewing accessories for their products. How sad...

---Joel

P.S. -- In the process I happened to come across the part number for a Tektronix probe power connector... it's Lemo FFA.0S.304.CLAC42. About $30 in quantities of 1, in stock at Heilind.Com (possibly the same as FFA.0S.304.CLAZ, a mere ~$20 at Mouser), which -- while expensive -- suddenly seems a much better deal than Agilent's offering, and it is mostly metal to boot.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

You have to remember that Agilent deals with huge companies that think nothing of spending $300k for one instrument. Agilent is not interested in the homebrew/hobbyist. An a long time employee there, I try to give hobbyists some access to info to let them repair older HP/Agilent equipment, but you really don't want to buy from Agilent...the overhead is too much and our labor rate is north of $100/hour. I even tell some of our current customers that they can do better by buying some parts through Newegg or similar.

These connectors are somewhat unique....at one time I provided the name of the manufacturer for this, but I no longer have that info. Sorry.

cv

Joel Koltner wrote:

Reply to
Caesar Valenti