Novice needs help with crazy project

Gurus,

I need your help...

I am an amateur triathlete and I'm getting ready for the start of the triathlon season and I had this problem last year that I'm trying to solve.

The problem is that during an open-water triathlon swim I need to skip a stroke every so often to lift my head out of the water and site the next turn buoy. I usually find myself off course by a few yards and need to make corrections. This costs me time from being off course and from skipping a stroke. So, I had this idea to take apart an old digital camera or picture phone and mount the camera part to the back of my head and attach the LCD part in front of my goggles.

Sound crazy? I did a Google search and found that someone has patented the same idea...

The thing is, as far as I can tell it's never been built, and I need your help to build it.

I took apart a digital camera and was able to power it up and get an image on the LCD, but the LCD is connected to the camera by what looks like a proprietary 24 wire ribbon cable and connector that I would need to build an extension to. Any ideas if that is possible? It would need to be about 15"-20" long to go from the back of my head to the front of my goggles. The ribbon is about 1" now. Do you think the picture quality would get much worse at 15"?

Another issue is that the camera has a lot of extra stuff on it that I don't need. Do you think there is a way to trim it down to just the ccd, lcd, a battery and a switch? Do you think a phone would be a better starting point? I took apart a broken camera phone and I was able to separate the pieces - but it has the same issue - a very thin proprietary ribbon cable.

Any other ideas? Am I crazy?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

jerry

p.s. please respond to my e-mail and the group.

Reply to
jerry

have you considered one of those wrist watch TVs with an NTSC input, and one of those super-mini security cams ??

might be easier to waterproof integrated units like that compared to a custom setup like you described, and completely eliminates custom connectors from the problem !!

Reply to
John Barrett

Will such a device be illegal in competition?

Reply to
jim menning

You must have a pretty big head if it takes 15" to get from to the back to one eye. But seriously I think that you could make the thing work without lengthening the cable. You don't really need to mount it on the back of your head because you don't need to see ahead all of the time, just once in a while. The real issue is that you need the camera to point up instead of forward like your eyes.

So you could mount the camera on the side of your goggles (at the temple) pointing up with the screen on front of the lens of one eye and a lens on the inside of the goggles to allow you to focus that close. Each time you take a breath the camera will be at the highest point on your head offering the best view forward. You would probably have to swim with your head rotated slightly to avoid the drag that immersing the camera would add. Pot the whole thing up solid with bathtub calk for waterproofing and you're good to go until the battery runs down.

Jack

Not yet!

Reply to
jerry

Yeah, the cameras look small enough, but the receivers would be to large to mount infront of my face.

Reply to
jerry

Your major problem is your swimming technique. When do you breathe? How much effort does it take to glance up at the bouy while you're taking a breath? Or are we talking snorkel here?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The ribbon cable is a standard in the electronics industry and different lengths are available; did not look to see if 15 inch length available. THe worst problem is reliably sealing all of the electronics from water and moisture.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Doesn't bathtub caulk use acetic acid to cure, like the original silicone RTV? If so, *do* *NOT* use that crap; it will corrode the electronics!

Reply to
Robert Baer

Use a waterproof GPS with earphone. My GPS is much too old to guess about how to get the voice to direct you around way points. Or maybe the display could be separated. Brings up the question of how/where are you going to put the display where it can be seen/focused on while swimming. Get bonus points for making the antenna look like a shark fin.

Crazy ideas........easy, making them work...........priceless.

Reply to
Captain Midnight

--
But, if it\'s patented, it\'ll be illegal for you to build one.
Reply to

Illegal to sell it, or to profit by using it. But building one for fun? Don't think so.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Just seen the Navy training dolphins, so maybe they can lend you one home trained orka as a guide submarine. The bicycle stretch should be a sight to behold;^))

HTH

Have fun

Stanislaw.

Reply to
Stanislaw Flatto

From the 'keep it simple' school of design: Consider something like a periscope. Optics only, no electronics.

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ Porsche 928: 0 to c in 2.125 years, 2.435 light-years per mile^3 of gas

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Greetings Jerry, I imagine that you've already considered the effect of the extra drag from the camera and display on your lap time compared to being off course and correcting. And since you have determined that the camera/display assembly will shorten lap times by keeping you on course then maybe the best camera to hack would be one of the cheap disposable digital cameras for sale at drugstores and similar places. These cameras will certainly have as few parts as possible, and may also be the lightest once the case is ditched. There are some cameras with fold out displays that may have cables with fewer conductors in order to make the swivel work. Have you thought about how well you can focus on a display only a 1/2 inch or so away from your eyeball? There may still be available glasses for video games that had tiny displays in them with optics that made the image appear to be some distance away. It could be that they used a standard video format, like NTSC for example. If so then you could hack these and use a cheap, tiny CMOS camera with lens and you would only need three wires. When swimming do you get off course because of currents in the water? Or because you pull to one side? If it's the latter maybe you could use a timer that would beep at the rate necessary to add extra strokes on one side or the other to train you to keep swimming straight. Good luck, ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

There was significant debate about this point ~10 years ago with regards to cryptography. A good archive of it is at:

Unless "for fun" you mean "idle curiosity" then you're out of luck ... Of course, if noone knows you made something patent-infringing you're not going to get done over for doing so.

--
Michael Brown
Michael Brown

Building one for education (to learn the art being taught in the patent) is fine. Building one to avoid paying for a widget? Very doubtful, but who is going to come after you?

--
  Keith
Reply to

--
It doesn\'t matter what you want to build it for, if you don\'t have
the patent owner\'s permission it\'s infringement.

For an overview, go to:

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/doc/general/infringe.htm

and for more detail:

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/mpep/documents/appxl_35_U_S_C_271.htm
Reply to
John Fields

Not true. It can legally be built to learn what is being taught in the patent and even extend the patent.

Check out the "education" exemption.

--
  Keith
Reply to

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 21:35:46 -0400, krw Gave us:

Not without permission dumbass.

Reply to
MassiveProng