Re: Novice needs help with crazy project

Just to let you guys know .. the reason people top post is because YOU guys are tooooo lazy to cut the length of quoted text down to under a page .. you bitch about following policy ... then choose WHICH policy you decide to follow ...

QUIT POSTING THE WHOLE ORIGINAL MESSAGE !!!!!!!!!!!

or ...

put up with top posting ...

some people dont want to have to scroll every msg down to the second page to read the response .. !!

snipped-for-privacy@bellatlantic.net (ehsjr) wrote in :

jerry wrote: >> Gurus, >> >> I need your help... >> >> I am an amateur triathlete and I'm getting ready for the start of the >> triathlon season and I had this problem last year that I'm trying to >> solve. >> >> The problem is that during an open-water triathlon swim I need to skip >> a stroke every so often to lift my head out of the water and site the >> next turn buoy. I usually find myself off course by a few yards and >> need to make corrections. This costs me time from being off course >> and from skipping a stroke. So, I had this idea to take apart an old >> digital camera or picture phone and mount the camera part to the back >> of my head and attach the LCD part in front of my goggles. >> >> Sound crazy? I did a Google search and found that someone has >> patented the same idea... >> >>
>> -20060620.html >> >> The thing is, as far as I can tell it's never been built, and I need >> your help to build it. >> >> I took apart a digital camera and was able to power it up and get an >> image on the LCD, but the LCD is connected to the camera by what looks >> like a proprietary 24 wire ribbon cable and connector that I would >> need to build an extension to. Any ideas if that is possible? It >> would need to be about 15"-20" long to go from the back of my head to >> the front of my goggles. The ribbon is about 1" now. Do you think >> the picture quality would get much worse at 15"? >> >> Another issue is that the camera has a lot of extra stuff on it that I >> don't need. Do you think there is a way to trim it down to just the >> ccd, lcd, a battery and a switch? Do you think a phone would be a >> better starting point? I took apart a broken camera phone and I was >> able to separate the pieces - but it has the same issue - a very thin >> proprietary ribbon cable. >> >> Any other ideas? Am I crazy? >> >> Any help would be greatly appreciated! >> >> Thanks! >> >> jerry >> >> p.s. please respond to my e-mail and the group. >> > >Fun experiment, but it will slow you down a lot >due to the additional drag and to the time it will >cost as you try to get a good visual fix with it. > >Most people would call me a strong distance swimmer, >but those who know - good swimmers - would correctly >call me a crappy swimmer. (~ 36 minutes per mile) >But even being crappy, I can look when I breath >during every fourth stroke, so you can, too, without >missing a stroke. You do have to modify the head >rotation when there's a lot of churn, so the fourth >stroke is marginally less effective than it is in the >pool. But heck - if there's enough churn, follow it. >The guys/gals making it are heading for the same buoy. > >Ed >
Reply to
mojo

LOL, you make up rules for us to follow and then you don't even
follow them yourself?  That is, you didn't even trim the stuff
below, which has nothing to do with your post.

Fuck you and the horse you rode in on, hypocrite.
Reply to
John Fields

Plonk!

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Thanks - but somehow your post must've gotten messed up. The helpful part seems to be missing.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

So is it written in stone somewhere that contributors to this group have to post in some certain way??

Reply to
Jack

snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (Jack) wrote in :

you would think soooo .. the way these guys freak out when you top post.

btw .. John Fields, I didnt trim any of the message on purpose just to show you how absurd it looks ... asshole...

Reply to
mojo

--
"Please bottom post" is hardly freaking out, it\'s a polite way to
ask you to confirm to the culture of these groups.  Plus it\'s the

--- It's not written in stone, of course, but the culture of the group is to bottom post and to inline post when necessary in order to make a response clearer or less confusing.

For some reason, even though you've been asked to bottom post you steadfastly refuse even though you've been here long enough to have seen that's what we do.

Other than just pig-headed stubbornness, is there any reason why you top-post?

-- JF

Reply to
John Fields

I work in an environment where a very large amount of communication is done via email between a very large number of people in a Fortune 500 company and everyone top posts. It just seems right to us. I was not trying to be difficult. I was only ignorant of your adamancy.

Reply to
Jack

That's email.

This is USENET.

There's a significant difference. (several differences, actually.)

Try this:

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I would like to add that "topping" is fairly common practice in e-mails in industry.

In Usenet, the culture varies from this somewhat. So I advise that in Usenet that top-posting only be done above maybe 12-15 lines or less of quoted material or have adequate indication early-on of having top-posting, reasonably obvious in first-page-view in all popular and decade-back-popular newsreaders including dating back to "tin" and "slrn".

Meanwhile, I do find that most of those who bitch the most about top-posting tend to be grasping at straws to fight their way upward from deservedly lower positions in whatever "pecking order" that they want to ascend within.

-- - Don Klipstein ( snipped-for-privacy@misty.com) (Did I achieve an officially valid signature yet?)

Reply to
Don Klipstein

--
This is not a very large Fortune 500 company and this is not email.
This is USENET and hardly anyone top posts.

This isn't email, its Usenet.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell