Name of plug in US

I once had a salesman tell me it simply means "Bayonet Connector"; presumably the BN is BayoNet, as in TTY for TeleTYpe. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Well, they looked like audiophool-grade RCAs to me; if not, then what ARE they, or are you just having another tantrum?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

"Rich Grise"

** Others have given the right ID.

Known for decades as " Belling Lee" connectors for TV antennas and such.

Came into widespread use in Australia with the arrival of PAL colour TV and FM broadcasting in 1975/6.

Poms loves 'em.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

When not called "tv coaxial antenna plug" (or some variation thereof) I've heard it called called "Belling-Lee" or "PAL" (neither of which are technically accurate).

compared to F connectors it has the advantage of withstanding more insertion cycles, but the disadvantage of poor impedance matching.

Wikipedia suggests it is standardised as "IEC 169-2"

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

The car radio antenna plug if often called "Motorola" no doubt it has a technical name too, but Wikipedia doesn't seem to know it.

?? 100% natural
Reply to
Jasen Betts

Motorola was the first or one of the first to make radios for motor cars. Hence the name motor ola.

Reply to
mm

The car radio antenna plug is often called "Motorola" no doubt it has a technical name too, but Wikipedia doesn't seem to know it.

?? 100% natural
Reply to
Jasen Betts

Why can't Motorola be it's proper name? It was "invented" by Motorola. It's a longer version of the the RCA connector, "invented" by RCA.

Probably at one time RCA had a patent on its connector and Motorola had a patent on theirs.

It wasn't until the second world war that the concept of standarization across manufacturers was pushed. Companies made their own parts, connectors, etc, and tried to prevent competion.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.

Wiki has a pretty good summary:

aem sends...
Reply to
aemeijers

** I was once told it stood for " Bloody Nice Connector " .......

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

connectors,

It seems that the manufacturers of anything battery-powered haven't gotten the message. I have two shelves full of nearly identical batteries and nearly identical chargers that are totally incompatible.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

While I personally think the world would be a better place if everyone standardized on 1.2 volt AA batteries (preferably NiMH at the moment) it's a loosing battle.

You would figure that after the battery disaster with the original iPod Apple would have done something better but it seems that their customers prefer internal batteries that need to be replace by a technician or the entire device recycled.

Come to think of it, every pocket music or video player I have ever seen except for the first, a 256meg USB stick, had a "permanent" battery.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.
Reply to
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

The connectors in the photo are "press-on F" connectors. Cheap to make, they simply slide on the chassis threaded F. They are horrible and cause a lot of issues as they do not allow proper and tight sheilding.

e-ya later! Klay Anderson's iPhone 4/iOS4.3.2 Try FaceTime!

Reply to
Klay_Anderson

I don't think that's correct. An F connector normally uses the center conductor of the cable -- a wire -- as the center connection -- not an RCA-like plug.

The press-on F connectors I've seen use a slotted jacket that usually fits snugly and rarely causes problems.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Look at the "shell" carefully: no screw... :)

-- @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY. / v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you! /( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.38.4 ^ ^ 22:50:01 up 7 days 2:51 1 user load average: 1.08 1.04 1.05 ???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ????? (CSSA):

Man-wai Chang

Or the "GR" plug on General Radio equipment. People my age fairly universally called it the "double banana" plug.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

The "GR" connector is *not* a "double banana". The GR connector is a hermaphroditic connector about an inch in diameter.

Some GR to BNC in the first pic and a GR 'T's in the second and third:

krw

I mean the 1924 GR plug, not some modern 1960s RF connector.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

'60s?

Reply to
krw

Officially, on both sides of the pond, they are referred to as IEC

169-2, or IEC 60169-2 connectors, and they are CRAP for TV usage as they are not a proper match to 75 ohm cable - actually closer to 50 ohm, and cause reflections and ghosting of the signal

The IEC 169-24, or "F" connector is superior for TV use.

Reply to
clare