What is the name of the governing body on industrial standardisation (standardization) in USA?

I don't think we have one.

John

It depends on the subfield. SAE for auto hardware, AN/NAS/MS for civil and military aircraft hardware/plumbing, IEEE/ANSI for electronics, etc.

The wonderful things about standards is there are so many to choose from.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Where I work we have a direct hotline to/from FEMA. The "alert" light bulb on the phone is always blinking. Our joke is that they think everything's an emergency :-)

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

What's a "standard"? Isn't it something to be ignored ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

FEMA, but generally only after the fact.

Reply to
Rob Gaddi

In Britain it is the BSI. In Germany it is DIN. The ISO is multi-national. The European Union now has the CEN.

What is the closest central technical authority in the USA?

Reply to
Jim Gregory

I read in sci.electronics.design that Jim Gregory wrote (in ) about 'What is the name of the governing body on industrial standardisation (standardization) in USA?', on Mon, 28 Mar 2005:

and CENELEC

and ETSI

The US standards system is very different. The national body is ANSI, but it doesn't do the same things as BSI or DIN.

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that John Larkin wrote (in ) about 'What is the name of the governing body on industrial standardisation (standardization) in USA?', on Mon, 28 Mar 2005:

Some people would say that that is effectively true. Or ineffectively.

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Jim Thompson wrote (in ) about 'What is the name of the governing body on industrial standardisation (standardization) in USA?', on Mon, 28 Mar 2005:

SMILE when you say that! Oh, you did!

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate

UL certifies that a consumer product passes certain safety standards.

...Jim Thompson

and where does UL enter the picture??

Reply to
ryan wheil

You'll need to me more specific. Some standards are initially set by relevant trade or trade related organisations and may later be more widely adopted.

ISO or IEC is your best first bet though. Even the US is adopting International Standards these days.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

any funny examples? I've only got a couple from TUV, about 230V clearance on a pcb, boring but annoying

martin

Opinions are like assholes -- everyone has one

Reply to
martin griffith

As a commercial organisation set up by insurance interests. They're slowly adopting IEC ideas. Effectively essential to do so for international trade.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I don't understand. What's funny about 230V clearances on a pcb ?

I *loved* UL's Hot Flaming Oil test though. They were clearly a bunch of pyromaniacs !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Federal Emergency Management Agency.

John

Joke answers:

Federation of European Motorcycle Associations?

Farm Equipment Manufacturers Assocation?

In the US, there really isn't anything like BSI or DIN.

NIST is the closest if you insist on a government agency, but they don't really do the same thing (although they do a lot!). The acronymical replacement of NBS with NIST might make you think that they'll do more technological standards but they don't.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

UL is now just another testing lab. The former "UL" standards have been taken over by ANSI, so now there are many labs that will test products to the standards.

But the ANSI standards have no federal enforcement behind them. Most states have laws that require consumer products to be ANSI certified, and enforcement is nearly nil.

I don't see that here. Small appliances have skinny 2-wire zip cords. Things like lamps and radios have never had to have fat cords here.

And I'm mightily pleased that we don't.

John

FEMA, whatever that is, is not a National Standards Body like BSI or Din, and certainly not a regional or international one like CEN or ISO.

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate

No, FEMA has been around for ages. They help out after big disasters: hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, floods, new Madonna movies, stuff like that.

John