Name for Jubilee clips in USA

Returning to USA/UK tool terms etc

What is the name in the USA for what we call a Jubilee clip in the UK, presumably named in Queen Victoria's jubilee year of 1897.?

pic

Wrap round flexible steel tightenable band around flexible pipe unions.

Full list of translated terms on

but any more additions welcome

N Cook

called a Schlauchschelle in Germany it would seem

Reply to
N Cook

Jubilee is just a registered trade mark given to the "Worm Drive Hose Clip" which L. Robinson & Co. invented in 1921.

I don't know what they are called in the USA but in Australia I have never heard of them referred to as "Jubilee clips". I suspect that was simply due to the fact that we didn't import any of those manufactured by L. Robinson & Co. We have always known them as "Worm Drive Hose Clips" and I wouldn't bve surprised if it wasn't the case in the USA. For example, the Norma company ( Germany) has manufacturing plants in many countries including the USA and this is a typical product page for their hose clamps

You will note that the HD and Torro clips are called "worm Drive Hose Clips".

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Yes, probably boring and not very specific "hose clamp" which could cover all the variants of loops of wire and twisted wire etc.

Not just "foreign sounding" but positively imperial sounding, Boston tea part and all that from this

l " Americans know it as a hose clamp, a metal band that can be tightened around the junction of a metal pipe and rubber tube for no-leak connections. In England, where the device was invented, it's called a Jubilee clip, named in honor of Queen Victoria's 50th anniversary party.

1921. Lumley Robinson invented the hose clamp when, while commanding a Royal Navy destroyer in WWI, enemy fire destroyed some hoses. The name "Jubilee" was deemed foreign sounding by Stateside manufacturers who began producing them during WWII. "

N Cook

Worm drive hose clip would probably be understood anywhere in the English speaking world.

--
*Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's also known as a "gear clamp"

Reply to
reply

Pipe clamp.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Oops, that should have read: hose clamp.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

Pipe down, Sam! ;-)

-- Service to my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to prove it. Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell Central Florida

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

unions.

above is

in the

Do UK mechanical engineering terms such as clevit pins or Woodruff keys or Jacob's chucks mean anything stateside?

Reply to
N Cook

On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 17:34:16 +0100, N Cook Has Frothed:

Yep, All but I call it a Clevis pin tho.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Hi!

I think you mean clevis pins. Dunno about Woodruff keys, although I think I've heard that term here in the US.

As far as Jacobs chucks, here in the US those are pretty much the standard drill chuck on the end of an electric or portable drill. I don't think I've ever seen another kind, apart from a very few unmarked ones.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

or

I've

yes, sloppy fingers, Clevis pins

Woodruff keys lock gears/pulleys etc to large shafts, similar to roll pins (same USA term ?) locate small pulleys etc to small shafts

N Cook

Same name, as far as I can tell, although I might have been reading Brit manual. At least I knew immediately what it was when mentioned. 'Jacobs chuck' as a term is not in common usage, but again, I knew what it was. Mostly just referred to as a 'chuck' or 'drill chuck'. Clevis pin is a common term, especially amongst us old farm boys.

Any Haynes auto repair manual has a pretty comprehensive cross-reference of Brit vs. American mechanical terms.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

Glad you've found a use for one. ;-)

--
*A day without sunshine is like... night.*

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I know...but they're not totally useless, as long as one maintains the proper degree of skepticism.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

N Cook wrote: >

Maybe this is obvious, but just FYI - a roll pin and a Woodruff key may be similar in function (locking a shaft to something on the shaft), but not at all in appearance or application. At least not in my corner of the world.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey

LOL.. Isn't that the truth.. If you look anything up in a haynes manual it says take it to the dealer for proper service.. I wonder why I wasted my $15 on that stupid book. It doesn't even have any good part breakdowns in it.

- Mike

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote

Reply to
Michael Kennedy