My electronics is rusty

That appears to be a 10-turn pot, and the left pin is marked "CW" on the case, so turning the screw clockwise will decrease the resistance between the left and center terminals. In this case, because of the screw mechanism, you can't really visualize the relation between the terminals, resistance element, and screw rotation.

This one is a single-turn pot, and the right terminal will be the clockwise end of the element. With this design, the resistance element is a semi-circle with a gap at the bottom. The two end terminals can be easily visualised as the CCW (left) and CW (right) ends of the resistance element, and the center terminal goes up through the gap in the element to connect to the moving terminal.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

We agree. That is part of what I was saying.

Neither you or I had a problem visualizing that relationship.

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

You should tie it in with one of those PIR yard light thingies, so that the light comes on (instead of a yard light).

What'd be WAY cool is if you can get PIR sensors that have enough directionality to rotate the "camera" to track the heat source. ;-)

Cheers! Rich (PIR: Passive InfraRed)

Reply to
Rich Grise

If you are content to provide the right answer an average of 50% of the time, I suppose you could make a case for that opinion. :)

At the time, that bit wasn't important, apparently.

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

--- I'm not the one who made the assumption that Andy was talking about a

10 turn pot pinned out the way you described so, since I had a priori knowledge about what he was taking about, _you're_ the one with the > What's important is that Andy know how to wire the thing up properly,

--- Initially it wasn't since, on the schematic, it should be apparent that, wired as a rheostat, moving the wiper upward will result in the

7555's output frequency increasing regardless of whether that end of the element is labelled CW or CCW.

When Andy asked about how the pot was supposed to be wired I replied with the information he needed and also told him that if he wired it that way he could expect the flash frequency to increase with clockwise rotation of the pot.

No big deal, just a simple fact.

You, then, being the ass you are, ass-umed that Andy's pot was pinned out like yours, (because, of course, there are no other pots in the whole wide world pinned out differently) and started your ridiculous tirade because you thought there was no way you could possibly be wrong.

Well, you are, and there's no way you can deny it truthfully, so why keep on taking rope?

--- JF

Reply to
John Fields

(...)

Jeeze, John. No reason for a tantrum. I was just asking for clarification.

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

--
Tantrum? Hardly. Just putting you in your place.

As for asking for clarification, you were given ample clarification
several posts back, so if you keep asking you're either thick or
trolling.

From your rather meager posting history I detect both so, since
there's no real reason for me to keep you visible;

Plonk.
Reply to
John Fields

I post too much? OK.

I post too little? OK.

How can I simultaneously post too much and too little? (Remember: I'm plonked and cannot be seen, John.)

OMG! I'm *invisible* This is kinda cool!

Thanks John! :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Bad hair day, John?

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

They don't know how much fun is is inside their killfile, exploring the innards of their machine and stuff. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Look what I found!

C:\Documents and Settings\JohnF\My Documents\DooDooHeads\Winston

I must have really done it this time.

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

--- You post too much because you belabor an obvious point, after it's been successfully made, by trying to find a way to negate it using whatever means you have at hand, instead of just graciously accepting it for what it is and adjusting your life accordingly.

Of course that's anathema to you, since you consider yourself to be the be all and end all of everything, so if someone took time out of their life to point out some of your foibles, when they didn't have to, of course you'd recoil.

---

--- I lied, just to see if you'd take the bait.

Of course, you just couldn't resist...

As for your posting habits, you post too much nonsense and too little substance.

---

--- Being ignored isn't the same as being invisible.

---

--- JF

Reply to
John Fields

--
Nope.

Wanna fight?
Reply to
John Fields

--
"is is"???

Care to elaborate?
Reply to
John Fields

--
Yeah, you did.

There is no such path in my machine, so all you've done is branded
yourself as a phony.

What a surprise...
Reply to
John Fields

Don't act like a juvenile - it's unprofessional.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

"Phony?" Who is it who just responded to one whom he just "plonked?"

Heh. Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

--
PKB
Reply to

--- On the battlefield, when one makes the enemy believe that one will act in a certain way, and then acts in another, that's just subterfuge.

Certainly you can't believe that it wouldn't be madness to lay out one's battle plans for the enemy to see before the planned action was executed, yes?

--- JF

Reply to
John Fields

Battlefield?

Isn't it less work just to not make enemies in the first place?

And what are you doing spewing this venom on the .basics NG? Isn't there some sort of gentleman's agreement that we don't get poopy here, lest we scare away the newbies?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise