My electronics is rusty

I need some help with this.

My electronics is real rusty.

I will start with the trim pot.

Mine has 3 leads and I was told to set it at 500K before making adjustments. I know that some of the leads go to the chip, but which ones?

Thanks, Andy

Mint

Turn it to mid-rotation to get 500K. Use the center lead and either of the ends. Ignore the one that's left... you don't need it.

John

Tying the loose end to the wiper reduces the size of the glitch if there's a momentary open. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Tying the loose end to the wiper reduces the size of the glitch if there's a momentary open. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

And if you choose that 'loose end' to be the 'counterclockwise' side of the pot, 'blink frequency' will increase with clockwise rotation of the knob. A thing which is devoutly to be desired.

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

--
Looking at the pot from the front, the terminal on the right goes to
pin 3 of the chip, and the center and left terminals to either pin 2

Doing it that way makes the flash frequency increase as you turn the
actuator clockwise.

Damn fine looking schematic, BTW!

Where'd you find it?
Reply to
John Fields

It was given to me along with the parts.

Andy

Reply to
Mint

The project is to making a flashlight into one that flashes all the LEDs.

I will use it to act as a high visibility back light for daytime use on my bicycle.

Looks like I will have to get a project board to finish it.

I saw some at Radio Shack the other day.

I may have to use my bench grinder to narrow down the tip to work in those small spaces.

Andy

Later I would like to make a simple LED to act as a fake alarm light.

I would embed it into wood and use a step down transformer or batteries to power it.

Reply to
Mint

Frequency decreases with clockwise rotation, yes?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

--
No.

As the wiper is turned clockwise, looking at it from the front, the
resistance btween the wiper and the clockwise end of the track
decreases, increasing the frequency.
Reply to
John Fields

So "the terminal on the left goes to pin 3 of the chip, and the center and right terminals to either pin 2 or pin 6 of the chip, or you can just short them together (and connect them to either pin 2 or pin 6 of the chip)."

Correct?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I've even seen fake surveillance cameras. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

John Fields:

Ah, right.

Reply to
F. Bertolazzi

--
No.
Reply to

Photos/PV36W SERIES.jpg

25K OHM 205C 7PCS W2P225.JPG

If Andy's trim pot looks like either of the above, why wouldn't the left terminal be the 'clockwise' end?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

of

That's what I am going for.

Most folks are more careful around blinking lights. :-)

Andy

Reply to
Mint

  • * * * ^ * * | * * o * 1 2 3

The asterisks represent the semicircular carbon track. What happens to the resistance between 2 and 3 when you turn the center shaft clockwise?

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

It becomes smaller. Hence the 'CW' symbol cast in near pin 3 on the right side. Because we don't know the part number of Andy's trimmer it is impossible to say which is technically the right answer. We all agree that connecting the rotor to the 'CCW' terminal will result in lower resistance with rotation in the CW direction.

That is the important bit.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

--
No, it isn't.

What's important is that Andy know how to wire the thing up properly,
and since I sent him the schematic and the parts to build it I knew
that it was a single turn pot.

Were you not so intent in finding fault you would have realized, from
the context of the discussion, that there are other pots in existence
(both single and multi-turn) which fit the description of operation
given and realized your pot wasn't in that mix.
Reply to
John Fields

I did not realized that there was a criticism of the pot used.

I found a broken wireless controller that turns two outlets on/off.

It was broken, but I salvaged quite a bit of parts.

Andy

Reply to
Mint