Cleaning a BNR Connector

I have a female BNR connector that I think needs oxidation removed from inside. It's a bit too tight for emery paper. Any suggestions?

-- W. eWatson

(121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time) Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

Web Page:

Reply to
W. eWatson

--Howzabout a bead blaster, the kind used for spark plugs..

-- "Steamboat Ed" Haas : $150,000,000,000 in pork?? Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Where's my share???

---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

Reply to
steamer

Replace it?

"

Reply to
Jamie

What am I supposed to look for there?

--
                                W. eWatson

               Obz Site:  39° 15\' 7" N, 121° 2\' 32" W, 2700 feet

                     Web Page:
Reply to
W. eWatson

"W. eWatson"

** Use an artist's brush dipped in WD40 to clean it - if that is no help then replace it.

BTW

Most folk call them " BNC " connectors - for " Bayonet Neill Concelman ".

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Replacing it seems to be in the cards.

--
                                W. eWatson

               Obz Site:  39° 15\' 7" N, 121° 2\' 32" W, 2700 feet

                     Web Page:
Reply to
W. eWatson

Before you give up and replace it, you might try one of those liquid tarnish removers. The one I have is called "Tarn-X", but it is decades old so I don't know if they are still in business.

Basically, you dip the part in the solution for a moment and then rinse it off THOROUGHLY. The label says it contains "acidified thiourea, detergent, and corrosion inhibitors." Probably not the kind of stuff you want on electronic parts! However, I have used it on ancient DIPs that had silver plated leads, so oxidized as to be unsolderable. The magic liquid cleaned them instantly, and I never had any later problems with the circuit.

Best regards,

Bob Masta DAQARTA v4.51 Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter FREE Signal Generator Science with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta

I'll consider it, but tomorrow is about the last effort before I just replace it.

It looks like I had B (N)and C ice cream on my mind when I posted!! :-)

--
                                W. eWatson

               Obz Site:  39° 15\' 7" N, 121° 2\' 32" W, 2700 feet

                     Web Page:
Reply to
W. eWatson

Yes, so noted. I happen to like Baskin and (N) Robbins (BNC) butter pecan ice cream. I think my brain got rewired recently on the matter. :-) However, I thought BNC stood for British Naval Connector.

--
                                W. eWatson

               Obz Site:  39° 15\' 7" N, 121° 2\' 32" W, 2700 feet

                     Web Page:
Reply to
W. eWatson

We once had a connector vendor guy visit; I asked him if BMC stood for anything, and he just said, "BayoNet Connector".

When I was in the USAF, they issued a "contact burnisher" with several blades, one of which was round, and could poke into the contact of a female BNC.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Duodecobenzinesulfonicacid. Used to make Melamine and some water based foam when reacted with urea. The Chinese have loads of the stuff. They use it in their kids formula as a stretcher along with ethylene glycol as a sweetener. Diluted 100:1 with water it will clean corrosion off most metals. Also used as a major ingredient in car wash soap as an aluminum brightener. Stinky stuff. Been there done that in my prior work life. If ingested over a period of time it will kill you slowly. Kills Cats faster.

Rich Texas USA

Reply to
Rich Klestinez