Connector

I have a odd connector, either a blunder or the real thing. Strange looking DIN like plug. Can't figure the manufacturer or why the two separated pins have a separation wider than a standard DIN.

greg

Reply to
GregS

It's perfectly normal. It's a standard DIN. What's the problem?

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

IIRC, R P Electronics in BC have those and the sockets.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

There are two variations of 8 pin DIN..........one with a narrow gap , one with a wide gap. you have the wide gap version.

Reply to
martin.shoebridge

The #s don't mean anything to me on their parts. The DIN pole arrangement on one is DIN 41 524(pin-1-5) the other is DIN 45 326.

I'l have to study up on that later.

greg

Reply to
GregS

DIN plugs started off as mono - 1 2 3 with 2 being ground, 1 and 3 in and out (or out and in).

4 and 5 were added for stereo.
Reply to
Homer J Simpson

That looks like the 8 pin DIN plug Commodore used on the late production C64 computers, after the video was redesigned to have separate chroma and luminance outputs, (S-Video) and for the 40 column display on the C128 computer. They used the round 7 pin din for the C64 power supply, so they didn't want you to plug it into the video port. Some other companies still use the seven pin DIN plug for external power supplies, so that may be the reason the vendor chose this version.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The real question is why are there two formats, since I can force the larger format into the smaller format receptacle. If they wanted rejection, they should have done a better job. Perhaps my recepticle has a wider tolerance.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Try forcing it in. They usually break from the force. I've replaced a lot of the PCB mounted connectors after someone forece the wrong plug into a Commodore computer.