class A amplifier

Which is why all my posts in this thread are correct.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Fairly young and was that simply a guess ? But it never made me aggressive.

No, I just hate audiophools. They are trying to destroy a once proud and technically highly competent industry with their claims of 'magic parts' and other pixie dust garbage.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Guess what's used in the 'gainclone' I recommended he google ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

--
After the fact.

But anyway, "Onward through the fog"...

JF
Reply to
John Fields

--
Really?

He did enough homework to, in the real world, build an amplifier that
works, and all you can do is spew destructive criticism in order, it
seems, to denigrate his achievement.

Why?

JF
Reply to
John Fields

  1. To sequester technical knowledge in journals, defended by deliberately obscure abstracts, readable at great expense, the revenue therefrom going to the IEEE, whether the paper turned out to be useful or not.

John

primitive.

junk.

wholesale

other

such

pieces

WHAT!!!

You mean they don't dip every bit of kit into LN2 at least once before recording a track???

And they don't use gold plated wall sockets?

And they don't wrap their cable ends in raw silk?

And they don't spin their CDs on platters that have been specially weighted to increase their rotational inertia?

This would explain why none of my CDs come already treated with magic green marker around the rim (to keep the light from leaking out, don'cha know).

Oh, the world is a cold place...

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

The class A emitter follower is not a bad initial learning experiment, and has some interesting variants. What's the point of just copying old circuits? That's not design.

John

Doesn't look anything special. Besides I thought TIM had been slung out the window by now as a nebulous concept.

Anything using devices as ancient and expensive as 2N5416s should be looked at warily too. They were good devices 30 years ago.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Yes I was doing that too with the bluntness it deserved. Hopefully the OP will have disovered he's not so much barking up the wrong tree but actually in completely the wrong forest.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I was very occupied earlier. You see I came back to the thread though.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

magic

A Class A emitter follower ISN'T an old circuit ?

He'd do infinitely better with a complementary Class A output stage. Then he can learn how the standing bias changes it from A through AB to pure B or even C ! And listen to the effect as he twiddles the bias pot.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I was doing better in my teens because I learnt about real practical circuits.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Yes, I agree.

Olivier

Reply to
Olivier Scalbert

My last practical lab was 25 years ago. It was about amplification ! But at 500Mhz, which is not he same domain.

Olivier

Reply to
Olivier Scalbert

Thanks for the interesting link. Olivier

Reply to
Olivier Scalbert

Ok, I will try. Thanks,

Olivier

Reply to
Olivier Scalbert

I understand now. Now if you'd mentioned a bit of this in the OP, we might have got off to a better start. :-)

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

--
No, you mentioned it in one of your earlier posts,
Reply to

--
Just like a bad penny.

JF