Class G amplifier efficiency

Could some electronics guru here clarify this a bit ? The efffiiciency definition for an amplifier is Power delivered to load/DC power supplied by power source The Dc power supplied from power supply is Vdc x avg. DC current flowing into amplifier However, Vdc changes, as per design requirements of class G amplifier. So what then would be the efficiency defintion for a class G amplifier.

Reply to
amal banerjee

Since voltage to the amplifier dynamically changes, you just multiply voltage and current with high time resolution and average, thus you get input power

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

The definition is the same, the maths more complex. Do you just want eta for max amplitude sine output or more detail?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

as an approximation for the efficiency at max sine wave output if you have a single transition boost amplitude cut-in at half the total supply voltage, say:

Above half the rail voltage the supply tracks the envelope almost exactly so the rough approximation is that in that regime efficiency is

100%.

Below that the signal looks somewhat like a square wave. So my guesstimate for full output sine-wave input power at the full rail voltage is the input power of e.g. a class AB amp driving a square wave into the load at half the rail voltage times some fudge factor like 0.8.

a weighted average of an AB amp's efficiency/output power into the same load at the lower voltage, at max RMS sine wave output (fundamental) and the AB input power at the amplitude of the first two harmonics can maybe in turn approximate that.

Reply to
bitrex

Not average current, rather RMS current (same as the output). It matters.

Still power_out/power_in.

Reply to
krw

RMS is not valid here. The 'S' in RMS is 'square', which is valid only if the voltage and current are in fixed ratio to each other. Here the voltage stays constant, and the input power is the constant voltage times average feed current.

--

-TV
Reply to

Bullshit.

No, it's *always* true. Average voltage, or current, means nothing.

Wrong, it's *always* RMS voltage times RMS current. You don't think a constant voltage has an RMS value? There is no difference when either is constant. Power is still V(rms) * I(rms)

Reply to
krw

No. Power is the integral of V(t)*I(t)*dt averaged over the period of interest.

Reply to
John S

An AC current times a DC voltage gives zero net power dissipation.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Correction: Power is the square root of the integral of V(t)*I(t)*dt averaged over the period of interest.

Reply to
John S

You were right the first time.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I think you mean that V(rms) * I(rms) = VA if you are measuring using something with a long-ish time constant such as a Fluke meter.

Reply to
boB

Oh, well, if it's DC we're talking about then, yes, this works for average power.

Reply to
boB

No, it doesn't. With a constant DC voltage, any AC current component contributes zero average power dissipation, but does increase the RMS current.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yes correct. FLAT DC with no ripple works though.

DC without AC component

Reply to
boB

?? What means "net" ??

A DC voltage has that voltage as its RMS voltage, obviously.

Reply to
krw

Sure, there is that PF thing in there but it's *not* I(avg) * V(avg).

Reply to
krw

That is not the same as V(averaged over time) * I(averaged over time).

Reply to
krw

If you have a 10V supply, and you draw a current

I(t) = 10A * sin(2 pi * 60 Hz * t), you have

Vrms = 10V

Irms = 7.07 A,

so Vrms*Irms = 70.7 W.

Instantaneous power is

P(t) = 100W * sin (2 pi * 60 Hz * t),

which over an integer number of cycles (or as the averaging time becomes long) gives

Pavg = 0.0 W.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

When V(t) is constant, the power *is* V * I(averaged) due to the linearity of multiplication and summing.

--

-TV
Reply to