"Must-Have, Survival" Discretes

Hi all,

Some years ago on this group I posed the question, "if you were washed up on a desert island and could take only a suitcase-full of discrete semiconductors with you, what would it comprise?

Many years later, and in the light of supply changes/shortages and whatnot....

Gentlemen, (and Lady (as I am recently informed)) which semiconductors would *you* - TODAY - take with you to some distant, foreign shore, to ensure your survival and contact with what remains of a post- apocalyptic human race?

TNX., Me. (the tall, intelligent, good-looking one who used to post here some time ago).

Reply to
orion.osiris

Phased-plasma rifle, in the 40-watt range.

Oh _today_? Never mind.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8er

About 1000 ft. of hookup wire, a deep-cycle battery, an ignition coil, and a fingernail file. ;-)

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

--
They\'d come looking for you, all right, but not to save you. ;)

JF
Reply to
John Fields

Toss in a 14V solar panel to keep the thing charged, eh?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Reply to
amdx

--
Ah, but for the ravages of time, there go we all... ;)

JF
Reply to
John Fields

Excellent idea! Thanks!

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Better yet, take one of those army pedal generators in case the sun don't shine. Keeps you in shape as well, remember, there's no gym memberships on desert island.

And don't forget at least one of grandpa's coal-fired solder irons. It would be really sad if whatever charge scheme you used failed, battery is empty, you find the cause but can't solder in a new transistor because there's no juice left.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

ed

rs

, and

Something like this?

Wonder how to screw the bolts into sand, to keep it from wobbling... concrete, epoxy, bolts? ;-)

charcoal fired solder iron, then? (not likely to be a whole lot of coal on a desert island)

Toss in a charcoal retort then, to make charcoal?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

nd

Say, what would the range be for such a contraption?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Sand, ashes, and urine? ;-)

Oh, yeah - a firestarter. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Dunno, but Carl & Jerry did it once after a car crash in the boonies. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Nah, it has to be done the true island way. Take strands from a palm tree, weave a rope from that and use it to tie the generator to tree roots. Then after the first amp-hours has gone into the battery, climb on top of the highest hill and let off a Tarzan yell :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

and

I beleive rich would sound more like 'Chetah'.

Michael A. Terrell

Is there electricity on that island?

A different question: suppose you had a time machine and wanted to send volumes of one chosen electronic part back in time, to the US Army, at the start of WWII, to help them win the war sooner. What would that part be?

I'd vote for 2N7000.

John

I'd vote for the BFP620. Now wait, that's from ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

At the _start_?

A decent magnetron.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

"An early 6 kW version, built in England by the GEC Research Laboratories, Wembley, London, was given to the US government in September 1940. It was later described as "the most valuable cargo ever brought to our shores" (see Tizard Mission)."

That was *before* we were officially in the war.

The three key components of microwave radar were the cavity magnetron, the crystal diode mixer, and the klystron, which was developed by the Varian brothers, Russell and Sigurd, here in California.

The history of the klystron is an interesting story in itself.

John

Pure U-235!

Michael

Reply to