Subject Author Posted Replies

raspberry pi --> power consumption + battery design
Hi to all. I need to create one off grid IP video intercom with RSP model 2 B. In this project i will use - wifi connection ( usb ) - 12V DC doorlock - two relay board - button for triggering call and...
45
45

weather science
Friday at Safeway was hilarious. The store was jammed with panicked urban lefties, loading carts full of bottled water and batteries and canned leek soup into their Volvos. I could have got rich...
10
10

OT: Britain's Own Snowflakes
Apparently the "snowflake" culture has reached British universities: The person evidently best known for promoting it, Jo Johnson, looks like a runner=up in this competition: Mark L. Fergerson

Smart Phones
Smart phones are common enough that it seems feasible to compare the populations using them to those who use(d) PC's. I routinely get requests from friends/neighbors to "fix" their PC's (malware,...
12
12

OT: Climate Change, Isaac Asimov and the 1975 TV Guide
My favorite thing written on climate change was written by Isaac Asimov for the February 22, 1975 issue of the TV Guide and called "The Weather Machin e". It was reprinted as "The Big Weather Change"...
67
67

OT: China: Saving America from Itself
"[Trump] underestimates Putin, just as he overestimates America?s military and other strengths in a multipolar world where, especially in relative terms, the US is correctly perceived as in decline,...
26
26

OT: Best Blender
Our Breville Blender is starting to shed its bearings. From day one it's had a lousy seal and leaked out the bottom unless torqued just right, so no more Breville. Any blender officianados out there...
2
2

Assembler Course projects (ARM architecture)
Hi folks, great group, wondering recomendations for projects for a Assembler course. Students from System engeneering. Backgorunds microcontroller Arduino, chsarp, labview, java and python. And will...
11
11

Source of Small Faraday Test Chambers?
I picked up a few of this type of Faraday cages at an auction (at a Nokia facility) a few years ago for next to nothing :- Unfortunately a couple have been (using the polite expression) "borrowed" by...
19
19

Switching to photonics may give boost to PC industry.
The PC can be big and thus benefit from larger photonics devices for now, making them faster than mobile phones. Thus switching to photonics could safe PC industry from falling sales figures. A...

Please make computer electronics physically a bit stronger.
Things I have broken off while cleaning PC: 1. SATA plastic pin on the corner of the HD slot. Ever heard of lever affect ? Push/turn the plug sideways to see how easy this can broke off. 2....

Please stop using the white glue !
Today I inspected an older power supply (Seasonic S12, 600 watts version) that was in used at the time when my PC was overheating because of insufficient airflow and too hot graphics cards from nvidia...
2
2

New couch + new plastic shoes lead to death of power supply (by static discharge).
Hello, I send this warning to all computer/electronics lovers around the world. The last few months I have experienced the drastic effects of static charge s like you would not believe, unless you...
11
11

OT: Cooktop Knob Spring
Any idea where to get the spring insert for a Kitchenaid Cooktop Knob... like the D-shaped cylindrical spring in the right-hand knob. Wife likely washed it down the drain :-( Thanks! ...Jim Thompson...
9
9

Unemployment at 4.7%
However, "people who stop looking for a job are no longer counted as unemployed. Huh? "Record 95,102,000 Americans Not in Labor Force; Number Grew 18% Since Obama Took Office in 2009" Why doesn't the...
13
13