Subject Author Posted Replies

Laser Mouse
If you have an Ikea desk and your LED optical mouse doesn't work right (something about the optics of the varnish) this should fix it: It was really annoying to be tweaking a PCB layout and having the...

Predictive failures
Current and voltages outside of normal operation? Cheers
2
2

nice little 80v switcher
supply voltages seem to be going up, into the 50 volt range, so an 80 volt switcher is handy. This one looks nice. I'll get the eval board and play with it. I want to make an 8-channel programmable...

New technique lets scientists create resistance-free electron channels
There's money in quantum computing, and everyone wants a part. I'll stick my neck out and state that there willl never be a general-purpose quantum computer. I'll concede that it *is* possible to use...
2
2

gnarly PCB
layout guy is struggling with this. Actually, he seems to be enjoying it. It has two D25 connectors, 130 relays, 49 polyfuses, and the usual FPGA and such. 8 layers, four of which will be 2oz copper.
6
6

A Complex Metaphysical Conundrum
Gentlemen, This is an exam question that trips up even some of the best students. See what you make of it! Q: Is this statement correct: 'The signal level at the modem input increased by 2dBmV going...
42
42

Philips TL-S bulbs
Hey all, I have an old rail car design that used ballast-free florescent tubes in a 600 VDC circuit; bulbs used in series with power resistors, the circuit basically put 100 VDC or 60 VDC over each...
4
4

Proof of principle demonstration of 3-D magnetic recording
Great idea for recording. Now we just have to invent a reading system... Arie
1
1

Inductance meter for BIST
I can build this into my new programmable inductor module, for self-test. With a 1% cap, it should be plenty good. L range will be 750 mH down to maybe 10 mH, part of simulating solenoids and torque...
11
11

Eclipse
A pretty good partial eclipse is just ending here. We had about 90% obscuration here. George H should have been in the path of totality. George? You out there, man? Cheers Phil Hobbs
14
14

lithium explosion
As the energy density of batteries goes up, failures will become more spectacular. It's not a good idea to store both oxidizer and fuel in close proximity in the same container. It's a recipe for an...
42
42

MIT 3D printed key components of mass-spectrometer
It is complete nonsense. Making the hard vacuum needed for ions to move freely in mass spectrometry and sample handling to introduce the sample into the unit without losing vacuum are fundamentals...
1
1

eclipse cookies
The curves on the chocolate are backwards, and why so many?
2
2

Scope Probes off Ebay
I never learn. I bought a used "Agilent 500Mhz probe" off Ebay for 50 quid as the highest bandwidth probe I thought I had was a 150Mhz Tek one. Anyway, I have a large selection of old probes lying...
11
11

German state gov. dicthing Windows for Linux, 30k workers migrating.
This reminds me of the guy who ditched Los Alamos and Caltech "big boy big iron" back in the days of Cray - 1996. Instead he networked sixteen Pentium Pro PCs running Linux together to build his own...
3
3