Yellow EnergyGuide stickers, how accurate should they be?

I can't even imagine how it would work. The only purpose of a riving knife is to keep the kerf open (and not get in the way of a dado). Neither are an issue with tile. I suppose it would help keep the tile straight but that's what the fence is for.

Reply to
krw

I successfully used a bunch of FT2232H parts in a recent design to do USB2 to JTAG, I2C, SPI, UART, GPIO, etc. The JTAG worked at 30Mbps (sustained), IIRC.

The I2C mode is most definitely NOT I2C compliant. It does work well enough in most cases though. The problem is that the clock is only ever an output, so it can't handle slaves that hold the clock line low (and you can forget about multi-master, but that's not needed very often).

I ended up putting an I2C controller in an FPGA to provide I2C for the few slaves that used clock stretching.

Regards, Allan

Reply to
Allan Herriman

It's probably to get rid of the sludge that cakes up in the kerf. But both that and the fence resulted in broken tiles, so ...

Ok, this is a

Reply to
Joerg

Joerg schrieb:

Hello,

when you measured the freezer, everything it in was frozen during the last days? Nobody opened the freezer during your test? It was closed for the last 12 hours continously?

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

Knowing Joerg, he was opening the freezer every ten minutes to check the temperature ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Yes, yes, and yes. I stuck a small probe in there with a really tiny wire. The electronic thermometer itself was outside.

Do newer freezers in Europe cycle that quickly as well? What about sounds, do new ones have this faint gurgling noise? I've never had an EnergyStar fridge or freezer before.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Michael A. Terrell

Looks almost like the one I was using. Except mine goes to much higher temps also. Its sensor usually lives in the outlet of our evap cooler. Except we may not need it much this year. It is end of May and yesterday we had to send three full loads through the wood stove, have seriously dipped into next season's stack already :-(

I want my fair share of global warming, dangit ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Looks almost like the one I was using. Except mine goes to much higher temps also. Its sensor usually lives in the outlet of our evap cooler. Except we may not need it much this year. It is end of May and yesterday we had to send three full loads through the wood stove, have seriously dipped into next season's stack already :-(

I want my fair share of global warming, dangit ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I have a similar unit. ...Jim Thompson

Hi Keith,

Hmm, yes, it sure would. In the designs I've done, I either already had 5V around anyway or, for battery-powered widgets, used the "bus-powered configuration." (...although in one of those there's also a tri-stateable buffer between the FT232R's Tx/Rx/etc. pins and the microcontroller that they go to -- this turned out to be the easiest method of avoiding the, "microcontroller & associated circuitry tries to power up the FT232R through its ESD protection diodes" problem that was causing my sleep current to be some milliamps rather than the ~100uA it was supposed to be...)

Yep... it works well for that sort of thing!

I'm told the Analog Devices DSP rep is going to be visiting us shortly :-) ... I can always send him your way afterwards! (Truth be told, though, I expect we'll be sticking with TI due to all the legacy code around, though.)

I was young and naive at the time... and only needed 4 or 5 of the parts; it was one of the many one-off bits of test equipment I built as a student hourly back as an undergraduate in college for some materials science grad students who spent their time studying dimer rows on silicon with scanning tunneling microscopes. One of the guys in that group was an avowed Objectivist, and even managed to talk me into going to one of their meetings -- interesting guy to talk to!

(I occasionally wonder what the fate of all that equpiment was... some of it was pretty good -- stuff like nice beefy power supplies you could use in far wider applications than just the ones we cared about at the time...)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I just received the three I bought on Ebay for a home brew cooler for my 'Novolin N' Insulin. For that price, I bought two spares. I have to keep it between 2º and 30º C and I want it to work in the 95º to 110+º heat in the summer. It will have a gel cell to power it for at least 12 hours along with a couple pounds of aluminum inside the insulation s a heat sink. If there is no power, you can still monitor the temperature. :)

Michael A. Terrell

I have had IEEE life insurance for years. I periodically will take a look at some other offering, and find that they are usually 2X to 5X the cost for the same coverage. We also have our PL coverage through them, for the same reason...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Hi Joel, I was there when it happened. Basic problem - your company has two products, one of which is technically superior but has limited market share, and the other which has 90% market penetration. Which do you choose to support going forward? The one where the money is!

Now, I was always on the side of making Schematics LOOK like Capture, but use Schematics as the internal engine. Didn't happen that way...

Same thing happed between OrCAD layout and MicroSim PCBoards...

:-(

Actually, the real problem was trying to shoehorn all the different PCB package interfaces into Schematics. The Schematics folks looked at the problem, and said it would take six months to do it reliably. The Capture folks said they could add a PSpice interface in just three.

Note: the Schematics folks were programmers and software engineers, the Capture folks were hackers with a couple of programmers in charge. The difference? When a software engineer says six months, he means five, but gives himself time for a problem or two. When a hacker says three months, he means six, but it will actually take him nine months if you add in the testing and debugging.

They went with Capture and got a product out about a year later!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

(12").

It probably wasn't aligned to the blade properly so did the opposite of keeping the tile straight. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Cool! Is JTAG really JTAG? Can I just plug in a FPGA on one side and pump the bitstream into the USB port on the other?

Are any?

I'd never trust multi-master. I2C has enough issues.

How many cells did it take you to do your I2C controller?

Reply to
krw

Yeah, that's something I have on my checklist. My problem is that I have a

3.3V USB hub in front of the FT232. I'll have to switch from 5V, down to 3.3V, and back up to 5V (and then back down to 3.3V for the SiLabs C8051) to run the 232 at 5V. It's a mess switching all this crap.

Neat. Now I know how to knock off another project the big boss wants done someday. ;-)

They've been around, many times. Our lead firmware and hardware guys wear BlackFin T-Shirts whenever the TI guys are visiting. AIUI, we went to TI because BlackFin didn't have a complete G.729 solution. AIUI, the licensing for it is prohibitive otherwise. Now that it's all working (and in the field for a couple of years) we're certainly not about to change horses.

No, seriously, have you ever gone to maxim.com?

Maxim-IC.com makes some of the best specs in the industry.

Reply to
krw

Thanks. I'll try not to lose the place again. ;-)

Washing machines use water throughout their cycle. Newer machines take a lot longer, too. Ours takes over an hour for a complete cycle. Usually there is no hot after the wash cycle, but not always.

that.

There is also a "commercial" grade, usually used in rentals, businesses, and such. The difference being that most "residential" grade appliances aren't designed to take any abuse.

Reply to
krw

Uggh, yes, definitely a bit messy.

I'm kinda surprised they couldn't get their oscillator to work at 3.3V -- I really wonder whether they knew that before tape out or if it turned out to be a design error and they just decided it wasn't worth a wafer spin to fix. I mean, there are plenty of 3.3V oscillators out there, after all!

That all makes sense. Is the TI G.729 code royalty-free? If so it'd be pretty hard to motivate switching standards, rolling your own, etc...

Oh yeah! Yes, I have a few times :-) ... "this is not the Maxim IC web site you're looking for...!" Hehe...

Our IT guy blocks some web sites, but I believe it's just some manually updated list he maintains. I.e., it seems kinda subjective... for awhile he had blacklisted all of Russia (.ru), for instance, until it was pointed out that, no, really, there are some completely legitimate web sites over there!

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

(12").

is

Over 1000sqft of tough porcelain, tricky cuts, and it's still running. That thing has paid itself many times over again. The neighbor rented a pro saw and it cost him as much, per job. I don't think it worked any better.

Still haven't figured out how to convince it do do clean ferrite cuts (toroids). That's been hit and miss so far.