Should Old VCR's Be Fixed?

The VCR seems to be at the end of its product cycle. I saw this thread at sci.electronics.repair, and I am posting the link here for reference. One guy laments that he has them stacked in piles eight feet high and can't give away repaired ones.

or

First steam locomotives. Now VCR's. What's next?

Reply to
Beloved Leader

It depends on the VCRs.. I find high end machines at thrift stores for little of nothing & sell them on eBay for decent prices. I got 4 of the Sonys with the jog/shuttle (the older ones that were made well). They ALL went for over $150 each on eBay. not bad for $8 each & lubricating that sticky tape guide.

Team Goon

I have an old (1990) Sharp VCR. After replacing the "mode switch" (I don't know the exact name for this in English), it works as new. Better than most modern VCR's, IMHO.

[]s
--

MSN: wizard_of_yendor[@]hotmail[.]com http://marreka.no-ip.com
"The modern stereotypes are Yamaha, Sony, Aiwa, Pioneer, Technics..."

may be worth it especially since old enough vcrs dont respond to macrovision and you can backup your store bought movies.

Reply to
~
[to repair old VCR's].

Please don't top-post!

Exactly. I don't watch lots of movies (mainly do recordings from TV) so a new VCR is no need for me.

[]s
--

MSN: wizard_of_yendor[@]hotmail[.]com http://marreka.no-ip.com
Reply to
Chaos Master

Another stupid old troll has to rear it's ugly head.

new

Reply to
Team Goon

Huh?

--

"People told me I can't dress like a fairy. I say, I'm in a rock band and I can do what the hell I want!" -- Amy Lee

Note: please don't give me TinyURL addresses.

Reply to
Chaos Master

Reply to
Team Goon

Quoting Team Goon [ snipped-for-privacy@ilovespam.comcast.net], that posted to sci.electronics.repair on Fri, 29 Oct 2004 13:49:25 -0400 under article :

A: Top posting. Q: What is the most irritating thing on Usenet?

[]s
--

"People told me I can't dress like a fairy.
 I say, I'm in a rock band and I can do what the hell I want!"
                                                   -- Amy Lee
http://marreka.no-ip.com | http://tinyurl.com/46vru | http://renan182.no-ip.org
Reply to
Chaos Master

I've Googled the subject and although there's obviously differences of opinion, there's reasons for top-posting, reasons for bottom posting, and reasons for inserting replies. For this reason, I'm doing all three, depending mainly on whether it's an ongoing thread, a simple one-time reply, or responding to several questions contained in one post. Sometimes if some self-appointed sheriff makes a big deal about it I'll top-post just to piss them off.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

The only time I can think of that pot-toasting is acceptable is if you're replying to the subject.

Reply to
Cartlon Shew

If someone really needs a quality vcr, get an old RCA, Hitachi (think has about 7 belts, replace all the belts, clean the heads, tape guides etc, and idler tire. one with all those replaced properly will probably last 20 years, might just need another head cleaning later, but the RCA, Hitachi 7 or 8 belt vcr`s from the 80`s, are likely the best vcr`s ever made.)

reply,

some

piss

Reply to
pertnoy

I agree. I took care of one of those for a family member for about 15 years by simply replacing the belts every two to three years and regular cleaning and lubrication.

Reply to
Jumpster Jiver

Where can one find GOOD info on how to lube and with what?

NSM

Top posting is kinder to the blind who have to listen to annoying computer voices. But trimming is essential.

or

Reply to
NSM

"The only time I can think of that pot-toasting is acceptable is if you're replying to the subject."

Allow me to express my support for pot-toasting. Got a light?

Reply to
Kim_Jong_Il

They used to toast Luckies. I can't see how that could hurt?

Reply to
Steven

"They used to toast Luckies. I can't see how that could hurt?"

Was that before Lucky Strike green went to war?

Reply to
Kim_Jong_Il