Water damage stickers

Some consumer electronics - notably cellphones - has a self-adhesive label on it that changes color if the device is immersed in water. It's like the humidity indicator cards you get in chip packages, only less sensitive.

Can anyone recommend a source of similar stickers or paint? I'm looking for a simple way to indicate if there has been water ingress at a couple of weak points in a sealed housing. If this is returned from the field, it would have had time to dry out before I get to see it.

Thanks.

Reply to
larwe

John Popelish

Hello Lewin

One easy and cheap method might be to affix paper label snippets that had been printed with an inkjet printer using non-waterproof ink. Water typically renders such lettering mushy, sometimes even totally unreadable.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Excellent, thanks!

Reply to
larwe

It would probably work, but I'd like something reproducible. In one case I have a screw post going through a label area, I'd like to see if the seal above the screw has failed.

Reply to
larwe

I'm sure there are commercial solutions available. But if you want something cheap, go to an art supply store and buy some watercolor paint. Have a rubber stamp made up, dip it in the paint and stamp an appropriate message onto a paper label.

This is the government our founding fathers warned us about.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

And how can all this work be cheaper than just ordering a roll by e-mail?

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

If he wants to do thousands, it's cheaper. I'd suggest washable blue fountain pen ink on a stamp pad.

Reply to
mc