this should be easy

I'm looking for a sine wave driver that can deliver 2 volts p-p 30Khz sine wave into a 3 ohm load. +/- 4.5V rails are available and sine wave will be the input. Distortion needs to be reasonable but not ultra tight. >1% maybe.

I have a design using complementary NPN and PNP biased to class AB (audio amplifier) with a opamp completing the loop and providing feedback to minimize the residual xover distortion.

Thermal runaway is a high concern. I'm using large 2 ohm emitter resistors on the output and diode biasing to compensate for temperature affects. Anything else I should be looking at? both xisters will be mounted to a 6 layer PC board with lots of copper underneath.

This amp will be running above 125C (ambient) so the audio amp ICS with the thermal cutoff will be of no use to me.

Just looking for different opinions..

thanks.

P.S. Class D is also out due to noise issues in the immediate areas.

Reply to
Mook Johnson

Hi,

You have not said what this whole thing is for. From the description you have given, it could be an electric cigar lighter. You get better directions if you let people know just where you are going.

--
Luhan Monat (luhanis 'at' yahoo 'dot' com)
"The future is not what it used to be..."

sine

will be

(audio

resistors

a 6

the

OK, sometimes I have trouble "reading between the lines", but how did we get from a 30khz amp at 120 deg C to RS-232 ??????????

mikey

Reply to
Mike Fields

RS-232 to TTL??? You have something against 1488 and 1489 ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

That's 330mA delivered from a 4.5V supply with a 3.5V rail-to-output drop allowed, right? What's wrong with unbiased NPN and PNP followers inside an opamp feedback loop? There won't be any thermal runaway, and < 1% distortion shouldn't be any problem with high opamp f_T.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

You didn't check out Luhan Monat's website ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

This is probably not so easy because of the +125°C operation limit. If you want something stable and with adjustable current limit, I recommend the OPA547. With 1.5W dissipation and moderate heat sinking the die temperature will be still below 160°, where it shuts down. Not too cheap tho, but certfied up to 125° operation temp.

--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

Yo,

Those are fine for putting in a design itself. This unit was for quick hookups to bench prototypes so each one does not need rs232 just to try out an idea. Also, it provides for 'network' type mixdown to a single ttl with 'echo suppression'.

All of this could be done with the chips you suggest, or, as most of my other later designs did, just a single pnp transistor for transmit, and a cmos inverter gate for receive.

--
Luhan Monat (luhanis 'at' yahoo 'dot' com)
"The future is not what it used to be..."
http://members.cox.net/berniekm
Reply to
Luhan Monat

Ambient temperature may go higher than 160C 125 is the minimun temrpature of oparation.

the thrustof my question is if anyone knows of an audio type IC tat doesn't have thermal shudoff or it can be disabled?

If a discrete design must be used, what would be the most stable biasing scheme for the most reliable operation overwide temperature swings? (hence my concern about thermal runaway)

In my business I know for a fact that garden variety transistors, opamps and other components will work for several hours at 200C if they are well selected. Thats all i need.

Reply to
Mook Johnson

One thing. Consider this when using multi-layer boards:

Mark Jones

I once encountered a similar problem, but with 180°C temp spec. Impossible to do reliably with silicon, I had to assemble these brittle GaAs chips on a hybrid. It was supposed to be for "Telecommunications". By chance I found out later that this circuit was mounted above the gates of those F16 bunkers and was used to arm the atomic weapons in the last possible moment. The afterburner was heating up that area, that is where that spec came from. Well telecommunication was not exactly wrong...

--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

In article , Winfield Hill wrote: [...]

.... and highish frequency transistors. At these currents that should be no problem. This is one application where you don't want the TIP35/36 pair.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Maybe reduce the dissipation in the Tr's with a resistor in series with each collector. Up to 10 ohms looks possible.

--
Tony Williams.
Reply to

This sounds reasonable to me. The class B operation will also cut down on dissipation. I would look for semiconductors intended for automobile operation. It gets pretty hot under the hood. There would also be some advantage to transformer coupling; that would let you match the 2V P-P to the +/- 4.5 V supply. Lastly, for a single frequency amplifier, why not tuned class C (or class B) ?

Tam

Reply to
Tam/WB2TT