How did they communicat ?

All frequencies of radio waves travel, without loss, through the vacuum of space. But the atmosphere traps some bands of frequency in a waveguide effect, near the surface of Earth. Those frequencies allow long distance communication around the curvature of Earth, but are poor choices for communication between surface and space. But even these frequencies leak out into space, to some extent, especially when launched near the vertical. Here is a paper that goes into more detail:

But there are lots of frequency choices that are not reflected much by the atmosphere, but travel essentially in a straight path through it into space, and back from space.

Reply to
John Popelish

During my school days about 35 years ago, we were taught in our physics lessons, the radio wave only travels or reflect in our atmosphere when we listen to FM/AM ,CV band, Air band boardcast. But I am curious to know how the radio wave communicate to the satellite as air do not even exist in space, this is just like vacuum space. Can any kind soul out there explain? Thank you very much. Regards

Reply to
mowhoong

All waveforms from the bottom of the radio frequency spectrum and above can travel effortlessly through the vacuum of space. Some are however reflected off the Ionosphere (LW-MW-HF) or ducted through the Troposphere (VHF) but still largely manage to make it into space.-- #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007 #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007 #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007 #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004 COOSN-266-06-25794

Reply to
Fjiluk The Hogfish-Beater

Ether is dead ... gone ... kaput ... killed by Einstein and others ... April Fool!

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Be kind, Charles, Some of them are fools all year long.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The radio transmission does not rely on the oscillation of the air in the same way sound does.

If it helps to get your head round the idea, think of it along the following lines...

radio waves are electro-magnetic.

ask yourself - "do magnets work in a vacuum?"

In the vacuum of space, radio energy travels quite effectively - it does lose energy over distance but the losses are much smaller than in air etc.

remember those experiments you did with a bit of wire going through some paper, pass a current through the wire and sprinkle iron filings on the paper to see the lines of magnetic flux around the wire? Think of radio waves as the lines of filings and think of the antenna as a wire cutting the lines of flux (and so inducing a voltage - generator theory) - this is not precisely how it works but the illustration is good for now.

radio waves pass through any medium with varying losses... some media have little effect, others will stop them dead in their tracks. It's not just down to the substance of the media either, it could be it's electrical properties or construction or a mixture - google "faraday cage"

Now, think back to audio for a second (as your initial question seemed to centre on oscillations of the air)... when some kid in his car goes past with the stereo wound right up, all you hear is the bass, right? Very generally, the higher the frequency, the shorter the distance of effective transmission through a medium. Low frequencies penetrate the walls of the vehicle (and the air) better than the high frequencies...

whale-song is very low frequency and travels for miles through the oceans... elephants use growls of

Reply to
feebo

Thanks to all members who responsed to my posting. Best Regards

Reply to
mowhoong