working from home

This virus thing might change things, and specifically cities, forever.

Are many of you working from home now?

Working from a 2000 sq. ft. office in downtown SF. I think the regular ren t is $10,000 per month. My friend's office is now open only Tuesday and Th ursday; so, i am working there the rest of the week. I am the only one the re in the office; so, perfectly safe from virus.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

In Denmark we shut down completely 11th of March, and in my company we went back to work fully mid June, with some people starting mid May

We have the situation under control (so far) since people respected the guidelines and the pullback was strong

We have had about 2000 cases per million people, 6 times lower than the US. I hope it will be under control soon in the US

I did work from my own lab, so no real loss of work efficiency. Just ordered parts to my home address

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Working from home for pushing 5 years now, had my all-time best first two quarters this year.

Reply to
bitrex

Working from home mostly.. Have to go in once in a while. We have engineers and techs coming in some times when it works out. I have a lab in the basement so can work there. I also have a house in Arizona with a lab but too hot down there right now. It will be good for when it is too cold here in the pacific northwest.

Reply to
boB

New Zealand has re-opened its cities, the lockdown persists at the border.

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

Been working from home for 20 years now. If not mine, someone else's.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

Respected guidelines!!?? We don't want none of that here in the US of A!!!

I guess you know what the "A" stands for... anarchy!

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

Am 27.07.20 um 23:11 schrieb Klaus Kragelund:

We in .de had as much cases in total as the US as the US has in 3 days currently. Yes, we are only 25% of the US people. But the US is only

25% of China's people. _They_ have stopped their epidemic. If you think you can stop their quest for influence & wealth, you're silly.

Same here.

I actually have the impression that the Corona shut down helps. Outsourcing development is somehow against the local culture. Production in China, yes, but...

bounce them to me.. :-)

Cheers, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Since the pandemic started, I've been doing most of my computah "repairs" by remote control using Teamviewer or AnyDesk. I'm in the process of shutting down my office of 30 years and moving everything to the house. The problem is that I don't have a garage or storage unit, so the house now looks like a warehouse full of boxes. Finding things among the boxes has been a problem.

Sorting through the office junk and deciding what should be moved to the house is a time consuming process. After a few weeks of carefully sorting through the mess has made it obvious that sorting will take forever. So, I'm taking most everything of value home, and plan to continue sorting after the office is closed. Hopefully, that will return the house to a somewhat livable condition.

I had to make a difficult decision over the old parts. The difficulty in finding a place in the house to store old parts that might never be used has forced me to sell, give away, donate, or recycle most of the pile. Similarly, the old bicycle parts, 33 rpm record collection, duplicate tools, and welding tanks will be removed to make space. I'm down to only two bicycles. I gave away the older chainsaws, but still have four that could be sold.

Between the road and the upper levels are about 50 stairs. No elevator, so I get a good workout carrying boxes up the stairs. There's still some more to move before I can close the doors, which is scheduled for the end of August. Since I can only carry so much up the stairs in a day, I decided to do the move mostly in my Subaru Forester. It's small, but sufficient. Had I hired a moving van and crew, I would have had to leave everything next to the road until the boxes could be moved up the stairs. Small loads take longer, but are easier to deal with.

Moving out of the office to save on the rent is obvious. Deciding if I should retire is less obvious. Despite the condition of the economy, I keep getting calls and emails asking me to do some work. I'm taking the easy and quick projects which is slowing down the move. In the past, the client would demand that I drive or fly to his location for generally useless meetings. Now, I can say no and the client understands. Long ago, I decided that I would continue working as long as there was a demand and my health remained tolerable. However, carrying boxes up 50 stairs has made me reconsider that plan. I would not recommend following my example for working at home. If I had known that I might be working from home, I would have bought a very different house back in 1973.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

We're expecting 1000 *deaths* per million, here (US AZ), this year alone.

That's what happens when the governor drinks the kool-aid...

Reply to
Don Y

It's just you.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

"How to design and build a baggage funicular in your front yard...."

-- A host is a host from coast to snipped-for-privacy@nrk.com & no one will talk to a host that's close.......................... Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433 is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433

Reply to
David Lesher

A trebuchet would be more fun.

Reply to
Dave Platt

I'm only working on my home. Unemployed, local job situation bleak.. well I could get a job at the 'deli' in town. There's an almost endless list of stuff to fix-up, clean, repair, around the place. There's something equally enjoyable in; painting a room, machining a part, soldering up a circuit, fixing up the barn. (the part/circuit may take more time beforehand... but for me the 'pay-off' comes when the job is done. I'm not sure the barn will ever be 'done'. :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

If violent protesting without masks, with lots of screaming and next to nothing in physical distancing is considered a "basic right" while a church service with masks, proper distancing and temperature checks of every attendee is not, what did you expect?

Case in point: We are holding church services since more than a month. COVID positives in our congregation of more than 300: Zero.

This almost goes for our whole county (El Dorado County, no protests here). 579 cases in about 200000 residents. And those cases concentrate on two quite confined areas where wealthier Silicon Valley residents have a 2nd, 3rd, 4th or whatever home. Even that is trickling down:

Also, Americans are less receptive when it comes to being told how they should live. That is generally an asset but not right now.

In Europe I always had the impression that using external engineers was not very desirable and I moved away. THEN I got European clients.

Gladly. Though for now they are ok even though I told them that I only handle tough stuff but no more large designs from scratch to production. Most already had external SW teams and they asked them to bone up on HW, hire engineers et cetera. Occasionally I help them find one, interviewing and such. They throw the nasty stuff over my fence which is ok (for now). Works well. For when there is a project where they do not have such a team and the client is willing to go overseas I definitely have you on my short-list.

For US companies overseas is typically not a problem. One team that is now SW/HW I work with is in Lithuania, which to my surprise has its very own language. I am very grateful for online translators.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

lly.

Not sure what your point is since you don't draw a conclusion, but the fact that you picked two isolated cases shows you are like Larkin in that you c herry pick the data you present. In your church case it's not even data re ally, it's purely anecdotal.

I can drive my car at 100 mph on the highway. Does that mean it is safe to do? That's one of the problems that make it easy for the less intelligent to be in denial about this disease is that it is on the edge of what we pe rceive as dangerous. Much like autos it is dangerous enough that we are wa rned about it, but not so dangerous that we take it all that seriously... a t least those of us who can't think clearly.

Yes, some churches can meet and not spread the disease. But then there are those who meet and a significant number of parishioners get infected. It' s literally no different from attending a coronavirus party. If any one pe rson attending has the virus (without knowing) they are likely to infect se veral others.

It's neither an asset nor a liability, just a fact. You might expect intel ligent people to understand the risks are not trivial. More importantly, i gnoring personal risks, this pandemic won't end until we take the actions r equired to end it which are all the things we've been told we need to do.

During the entire month of May the new infection levels (per day avg for th e week) in the US dropped from 31,000 April 25 to 22,000 June 6... 6 weeks for an average drop of 1,500 per week. Not fast, but effective if continue d. But we started opening up and as fully expected the infection levels ro se dramatically in and July to new heights.

Had we stayed the course, 14 weeks later we would be done with this scourge in the same way China is only seeing minor outbreaks with the economy open . That would be Sept 12. Instead we will not be able to open schools this year no matter what Trump says and the economy continues to be ravaged wit h no end in sight.

If Americans can't see this, they are far too stupid to live. Unfortunatel y the disease is not that dangerous, only killing a few percent of those re porting infections. So only a minor Darwin effect.

--

  Rick C.

  --- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Ricketty C

Yes, the Communist Party says so.

:-)

They did manage to stop most elements of freedom though ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

went back to work fully mid June, with some people starting mid May

e guidelines and the pullback was strong

e US. I hope it will be under control soon in the US

And the Western reporters in the country. Who also say that China has had t o manage a few - much smaller - outbreaks since they got the first outbrea k in Wuhan under control. The US should have been able do as well. Australi a isn't currently setting a great example - the current new outbreak in th e state of Victoria has hit a new peak with 723 new cases in one day - but the rest of country has very few.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to