Re: Previous COVID-19 Infection 0% Effective In Preventing Reinfection By Variants

>>> NOVAVAX in which 1/3 participants had history of previous >>> infection. They're not stating it explicitly but the results also >>> *seem* to indicate vaccination does nothing to improve immunity >>> in people with previous infection. >>>
All is not >>> lost for vaccinated people as the infectious disease experts are >>> expecting the protection, although not completely protective in >>> preventing infection, will make the disease much milder in those >>> who do develop infection. >>> >>> So much for the simple minded dream of "herd immunity" from >>> natural infection. That is the second bubble burst. The first >>> bubble burst has to do with research results flooding in about >>> brain infections, dispelling the fantasy COVID is just a "flu." >>> These infections NEVER go away, they simmer below the surface for >>> life, and you don't want to know what they lead to in the long >>> term. >> Fred has finally accepted that the Covid-19 virus is mutating. It >> doesn't mutate a fast as flu, but eventually there are going to be >> strains that some antibodies to earlier strains won't react to.

This isn't the virus mutating though it is our immune system forgetting how to deal with it effectively much like it does with all the other human endemic coronaviruses. Coronaviruses are relatively stable.

> The real bad ones from UK and SA are manmade, they are not natural.

Of course they are natural. The virus has responded to the constraints imposed upon it by becoming ever more infectious. It is inevitable that anything that gives it a marginal improvement in transmission will if it gets into the wild displace a less infectious strain quite quickly.

It is not surprise that new strains appear in places that have seriously lost control of the pandemic either. There are probably some equivalents independently evolved circulating in the USA but not yet identified.

The original wild strain never really reached the UK and the strains that did were quickly displaced by D614G - more infectious.

Add in a few immune suppressed patients given inadequate/dodgy antibody treatment and you can inadvertently create a better fitter strain that is more resistant to some first line treatments.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

This is a hypothesis. Why can our immune system remember small pox for a li fe-time, but can forget a corona virus after six months?

Here's a hint. The small pox virus is single linear double stranded DNA ge nome 186 kilobase pairs, which is lot more stable than the RNA strand in th e corona viruses (which is proof read during reproduction, so it's more sta ble than the RNA strand in the flu virus).

Lots of infected people and reproducing lots of virus particles - the more reproduction goes on, the more opportunities for variation.

Reproduction with variation, edited by selection. Straight Darwinism.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

There are a bunch of things going on you're unaware off. The most likely cu lprit is an poorly understood antiviral, ribavirin. It was certainly involv ed in treating the cancer patient in whom the B1.1.7 UK mutation originat ed, and believed and immediately suspected by many to be the cause. South Africa is a place loaded with serious viral disease and a tremendous amount of anti-viral therapeutics. Ribavirin is in wide use there as well. It is currently being seriously researched as a method of inducing what's c alled lethal mutatgenesis in a multitude of RNA viruses. This is not a new concept. I recall it undergoing animal studies over 20 years ago- not sure they were using ribavirin for that or not. U.S. urban centers are another place which are ripe for spawning more mutat ions. The mutations are unnatural and are no accident. The SARS-CoV-2 is not evolving to become more resistant. All it has to do i s mutate, and the likelihood of improved resistance comes free.

Fred Bloggs

The virus doesn't "respond" to pressures. There is no action of the enviro nment that makes it mutate. Mutation is literally random changes to the ge nome that are then selected for survival by the environment. The nature no r the rate of mutation does not change from environmental factors. The onl y impact the environment has on the mutations is that when the rate of infe ction increases there are more opportunities for mutations, so mutations oc cur more frequently when the infection rate is higher.

That's the really sad thing about depending on the vaccine rather than cont rolling the pandemic. While we try to vaccinate everyone, the virus is mut ating and is likely to develop some level of resistance to the vaccine. Th ere may already be strains resistant to the vaccine. With such high levels of infection even if we knock out the main strain through vaccination, tha t may allow the less prolific, resistant strain to flourish and become the dominant strain. Then we have another year to wait for the next vaccine.

It would surprise me if there weren't.

Hmmm... I think you fail to understand a lot about immunology.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

onment that makes it mutate. Mutation is literally random changes to the ge nome that are then selected for survival by the environment. The nature nor the rate of mutation does not change from environmental factors. The only impact the environment has on the mutations is that when the rate of infect ion increases there are more opportunities for mutations, so mutations occu r more frequently when the infection rate is higher.

ntrolling the pandemic. While we try to vaccinate everyone, the virus is mu tating and is likely to develop some level of resistance to the vaccine.

You've just made the mistake you complained about. The virus just mutates. Some of the mutation may make the virus unrcognisable by an immune system t hat has been provoked by a particular vaccine - not all immune systems are going to latch on to the same features of the protein that the vaccine intr oduced so different people could well have different reactions to the same strain of the virus, even if they were all vaccinated by the same vaccine.

vels of infection even if we knock out the main strain through vaccination, that may allow the less prolific, resistant strain to flourish and become the dominant strain. Then we have another year to wait for the next vaccine .

Probably less. The 2020 vaccine development sprint has show-cased a lot of innovations, and seen many of them tested in practice. The next round of de velopment could go a lot faster. We've now got better program for working o ut how proteins fold - which is something that people have been working on for a decade or so.

Me too. Every time the virus has reproduces, it has a chance to mutate. If there has been lot of virus reproduction, as there has to be be when there are 157,369 new cases per day, there have to be a lot of mutant strains aro und. Most of the mutations will be inconsequential, and most of the rest wi ll be lethal to the strain that carries them, but with enough mutations you are going to see a few that make the virus more effective.

Don't we all. It is horribly complicated, and you have to work hard to keep track of cause and effect.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

ng

at

it

[...]

Bill, sometimes you are such an idiot. You start off telling me I'm wrong and proceed to tell me why I am right.

evels of infection even if we knock out the main strain through vaccination , that may allow the less prolific, resistant strain to flourish and become the dominant strain. Then we have another year to wait for the next vaccin e.

f innovations, and seen many of them tested in practice. The next round of development could go a lot faster. We've now got better program for working out how proteins fold - which is something that people have been working o n for a decade or so.

Faster, yes. A "lot" faster, depends on your definition of "a lot". And t he key word is "could". Not a terribly relevant point really.

sly

nts

f there has been lot of virus reproduction, as there has to be be when ther e are 157,369 new cases per day, there have to be a lot of mutant strains a round. Most of the mutations will be inconsequential, and most of the rest will be lethal to the strain that carries them, but with enough mutations y ou are going to see a few that make the virus more effective.

That's probably the worst part of letting the disease rage while we wait fo r the vaccine, the high rate of infection contributes to a high rate of mut ation which can really make the durn thing hard to fight.

dy

ep track of cause and effect.

All the COVID-19 viruses are dangerous and are easily transmissible. We as a whole are too stupid to do what we need to do. So we will be stuck with this thing for some time.

I found out I am eligible to receive the vaccine now. I just need to get o n the list and get the durn shot. Communication about this is pretty bad r ight now. I hope it goes better than the Obamacare signup did.

--

Rick C.

+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

e:

n controlling the pandemic. While we try to vaccinate everyone, the virus i s mutating and is likely to develop some level of resistance to the vaccine .

es. Some of the mutation may make the virus unrcognisable by an immune syst em that has been provoked by a particular vaccine - not all immune systems are going to latch on to the same features of the protein that the vaccine introduced so different people could well have different reactions to the s ame strain of the virus, even if they were all vaccinated by the same vacci ne.

and proceed to tell me why I am right.

The idiot here is you. I was complaining that you were attributing intent t o a virus which is just a dumb mechanism, and when I explain why the dumb m echanics produce the result that you are complaining about, you think I am supporting your conclusion, rather than objecting to way you got to it.

The virus doesn't "develop resistance" to the vaccine. Those strains that h appen to change in a way that makes the vaccine less effective are more lik ely to survive, but there's no way the virus could know how it needed to ch ange.

keep track of cause and effect.

s a whole are too stupid to do what we need to do. So we will be stuck with this thing for some time.

on the list and get the durn shot. Communication about this is pretty bad r ight now. I hope it goes better than the Obamacare signup did.

Good luck with getting immunised. Australia is getting close to starting va ccinations, but nobody here is dying of Covid-19 at the moment, so there's no particular urgency. People working health care and quarantine are going to get the first jabs - they are the only people likely to get exposed to t he virus in Australia at the moment and nobody wants them to pass it on to other patients.

People like me who are merely more likely to die of the infection if we get it are definitely in line, but it isn't urgent - we aren't getting infecte d at the moment though that can change if the local quarantine has another drop-off. The last one stopped our family Christmas get-together.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Actually there are some drugs which do increase the RNA mutation rate. (and possibly implicated in the formation of the UK Kent strain)

But from a systems wide point of view the virus mutates randomly and the selection effects of the constraints are treatments and counter measures we use against it select for the fittest ones to go on and reproduce.

In shorthand the virus *is* responding to the environmental constraints that we impose upon it. And the number of permutations it can explore is scaling with the number of active cases. Anything that gives a new variant the slightest edge in reproducing more efficiently will be selected for once it gets out of patient zero and into the population.

There are no experts who believe that we can stop this now other than with an effective vaccine rolled out worldwide.

It is puzzling that it hasn't been identified yet. CDC asleep on the job?

I understand it a lot more than you do.

One of the ways to select for strains which are drug resistant is to apply an inadequate dosage to quite kill them and allow the survivors to migrate up a concentration gradient of the drug on a growing medium.

Antibiotics do not work on viruses but the same rules apply to using antibodies or other only partially effective antivirals against them.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

th an effective vaccine rolled out worldwide.

Granting the dire performance of the US and the UK in containing the virus, and the fact that there are number of countries who have done just as badl y, they are probably right, but even the US and the UK should have been abl e to learn enough from the countries that have done better to make it even without vaccine.

The US doesn't seem to have ever done as much testing as it should, and gen ome checking is even more expensive. I'm sure that there are plenty of peop le in the US who would like to do more, but the Trump administration doesn' t seem to have liked to spend money in ways that it couldn't easily justify to average Trump supporter.

You certainly think you do.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to