Actual LED TVs? do they exist?

Are any TVs just LED? Or is LED just a backlight to an LCD panel? I thought they'd invented TVs where every dot was a tricolour LED, but I can't find any such thing.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

-- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

Phil Hobbs

As Phil implied by his link, their are organic LEDs (OLED) display TVs on the market. Many at consumer friendly prices (

Reply to
Rich S

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

There's some difficulty with non-organic LEDs being SO hard to make three colors, but this projector-compatible item shows that there is some progress being made

Reply to
whit3rd

=======================

** No.

** Yep - highly efficient white ones.
** No fooling ?

TV screens are intended for indoor use in subdued light - get yourself a Lux meter and see how the difference is HUGE like 1000s to 1.

Large LED screens have long existed and are used outdoors, as are LED traffic lights.

Horses for courses ...

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

You're incorrect, I found OLED.

Not very efficient when you block half the light with the LCD in front of it.

Do you mean "no kidding"?

Really? Do you shut the curtains when you watch TV? I don't. That's only needed for cheap shit projectors.

Difference between what and what?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Really? You can buy LEDs of red green and blue pretty easily.

What would those be used for? TV inside glasses right next to your eye? Otherwise I don't think your eye can detect 10,000 dpi.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Don't be so rude, I didn't know the term "OLED".

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I got that too. How the f*ck did Duckduckgo intercept that?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That doesn't mean you can mass-produce a full array on a wafer, though.

Put a lens in front of it, and project to a screen. Kinda like a 16mm film projector, but the light is power-efficient and there's no moving parts.

Reply to
whit3rd

You are rude, wasting people's time by posting questions without doing basic research.

You owe the Oracle three minutes of life.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Then shouldn't that acronym get longer, like the LGBTQP stuff?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I cannot look up something without knowing the name of it.

What would you like me to do for you for those three minutes sire?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Why not? those colours have been around for decades.

Ah, good idea. So I assume something similar but not as good is used on those phones that have "projectors" in them. I'd always assumed they'd be shit.

So how efficient are those things? They seemed to be making a lot of light for something that small, I assume they are way more efficient than say a normal household LED light?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Yes. The top-of-the line Sony and LG OLED 65-inch TVs are around $2000 to 3000. (LCD types this size are under $1000). LG also has some very good OLED 55-inchers at around $1500.

2020 was supposed to be the year when a lot new players (from China) enter the OLED TV market, and drive these prices down. But, haven't seen 'em yet!
Reply to
Rich S

This is a discussion group. "Google it" doesn't promote mucg discussion.

Is an OLED actually a diode?

Yes. I haven't kept up with the technological details for a decade, but

10 years ago they all contained a layer of metallic calcium for the electron donor. Certain passivation issues resulted. ;)

(An old boss of mine for whom I have a good deal of respect, Frank Libsch, was one of the inventors.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Some questions are worth discussing.

Silly provocative questions that can be trivially answered, aren't.

The forward v-i curve looks exponential-ish, but I haven't spotted any decent reverse bias curves. I doubt that worries people :)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

CK's question wasn't provocative. He hadn't heard of OLEDs, so Phil told him.

What's wrong with that?