worker-guy tip for the day

My guess is that you would have to ask that question of an english man who may know the history of cricket. I did a quick google, but no luck. I did however find this:

Today's bat was invented around 1853, with the blade made of willow, and a cane handle, which is layered with strips of rubber, tied with twine, and covered with rubber to make a grip. The 'V' shaped extension of the handle into the blade is the splice. The early balls were stones and other missiles. Rather dangerous really, and not surprising that someone came up with an alternative! They're now made of cork, and covered with hand-stitched leather quarters dyed red.

Stone balls? And I thought a modern cricket ball was bad enough. I have broken a few fingers playing cricket before, i would hate to play with a stone ball.

Reply to
The Real Andy

Are you sure it wasn't a split-rim truck wheel?

I know of a case where the two halves blew apart during tire installation and took a guy's face off. But he survived it without too many scars.

...Jim Thompson

It's also an occupational hazard in the aerospace industry, pinhole leaks in 2000-3000 psi hydraulic lines. I'm only aware of one accident, but it seems there are a few each year.

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

A warning label on some hydraulic equipment shows this risk (skin penetration by high-pressure hydraulic fluid) schematically and explicitly.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

When I was in the Air Force, I heard of a few cases of this. In one case, an individual was "injected" with about a quart of hydraulic fluid near the center of his chest. He survived the initial accident, but later died from poisoning.

Another interesting story involved a guy mounting an aircraft tire on a wheel. AIUI, he forgot to install something and the bead didn't hold when he aired it up. Then the tire popped off the wheel and he was hit by the escaping air. The lower half of his body was found on the other end of the hanger and the upper half was stuck up in the rafters.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Holy sh*t... I had no idea it could do that to a hand. 8-( Granted that was higher than normal industrial hydraulic pressure by a factor perhaps 4, but still...

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Wow, 2000 lbf/in^2? You're lucky you still have your hand...

By "obvious way" I thought you meant don't use that orange hand cleaner soap / goop stuff... then I thought, oh no he didn't....

Reply to
onehappymadman

fluid

hit

other

I wasn't there, but I heard that it was an aircraft wheel. Seem to recall something about a lock ring, but that could have been another story. ;-) I was stationed at Scott AFB in Belleville IL. Lots of C-9s and various other craft. I remember a pilot grinding the bottom off of a T-39 when he landed it with the gear up. Now I really wish I'd seen that happen since nobody was injured. I did see the aircraft hanging from some type of funky mobile crane when they were removing it from the runway. It was a mess on the bottom. Lots of FOD cleanup that day. ;-)

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

What's "The obvious way?" Lick it?

Yuck!

Oh! You mean with the 2KPSI pressure washer! I blistered my finger and thumb with one of those in a car wash, trying to restrict the flow so I could fill up a bucket. Hah!

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You _do_ mean, "raises the question", don't you?

This is one of my pet peeves - peple misusing "beg the question". To "beg the question" is to use a circular argument - to use your own assertion as its own proof.

Cheers!

--
Rich Grise, Self-Appointed Chief,
Apostrophe Police

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 10:22:38 -0500, Spehro Pefhany wrote in Msg.

And if that's not explicit enough for you, you can look at this powerpoint presentation:

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

According to the TeeVee Nooz, Roller Derby is making a comeback. ;-) Girls' rugby might be fun to watch. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, but drunk

and then there's women's curling.

Richard Henry

Indeed they do.

Reply to
The Real Andy

The washer I have is a lot meaner than a car wash. I sprayed the hubcaps of my VW, expecting to remove the road crud, and it ripped the paint off the plastic.

John

Ha. Colleen Jones is okay to look at, if she'd just keep quiet.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

The walls of the lounge of the Navy Boilerman "C" school in Phila were lined with photos of boiler accidents and detailed descriptions of what happened. The ones that I found most disturbing were those involving large steam leaks where the crew got out after breathing steam and cauterizing the inside of their lungs, so that they suffocated while breathing fresh air. Almost as scary as the venticular fibrillation that sometimes occurs after low voltage electric shock.

The best warning label I have seen was on a big diesel chipper, which had an illustration of an innattentive operator with his hand on the start/stop bar while the second half of his co-worker was being pulled through the feed rollers, with the caption "DON'T DO THIS". The owner of the chipper assured me that the label was not based on conjecture.

Reply to
Glen Walpert

I'd like to see what it could do to clean up the usenet trolls around here! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Softball uses an underhanded pitch. I the fast-pitch version, the girls do a full 360-degree "windmill" windup, and fire the balls at

65+ mph with uncanny accuracy. Interestingly, a major-league (male) baseball pitcher can seldom pitch a full game, but a top-level softball pitcher can pitch many games in succession; the underhand pitch is a less (I accidentally typed "lass"!) stressful motion.

John

There was a US major-league player who was out drinking in the wee hours before a World-Series game. A woman remonstrated him for it, and his reply became the title of a book. "I ain't an athlete lady, I'm a baseball player."

John