If you're looking for a new laptop...

I bought one (Dell Vostro 1000), mainly because Windows XP was available on it. Else I would have just gone to Circuit City... I'm posting my observations in the hope it may be of use to someone.

Michael

Quickie Review of Dell Vostro 1000

The Good: XP available. 95% of the reason why I bought a Vostro. Dual-core AMD available Good video card Crisp video DVD+/-RW

4 USB ports SD Card Reader built in Good price: $499 + taxes WIDE screen

The Not-So-Good: No DVD-RAM support No NTSC or S-Video out (available in higher models?)

1.5 hours of battery life only on 29 W-h battery (I was used to 4+ hrs on my refilled Compaq Armada 366MHz laptop battery) Spongy keyboard (misses some keystrokes), spongy mouse buttons

Neutral: Mirror-like screen Kinda heavy, kinda big (good for movies?) No PCMCIA (hard to find on new notebooks) Built-in wireless; Press Fn-F2 to disable; sufficient for airplane use? Video card takes up A LOT (320+ MB) of RAM; can reduce this slightly Have to go into the Small Business section of Dell.com to see the Dell Vostro

Reply to
mrdarrett

I would imagine so.

You'd be surprised at how many people think that since they're not actively using their WiFi connection, it's "off." I can almost a guarantee that on any flight where you have a dozen people using laptops, at least once will still have the WiFi card enabled.

If this were truly a significnat safety hazard I imagine they'd simply equip the flight attendants with WiFi detectors -- they're dirt cheap these days, and some can be hacked to look for clients as well as access points.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

You know, I've wondered about the RF hazard on airplanes too. A co- worker wanted to turn on his GPS receiver while flying from Ontario to Sacramento... I wonder if I'd have to physically restrain him...

When flying to/from the Philippines, I read a list of non-allowed devices: CD players were among them. Flying on Southwest, though, CD players are approved electronic devices (above 10,000 ft). (Why the altitude limitation?)

While in Dipolog Airport waiting for my plane, I read a nice detailed warning about why cell phones are not allowed to be turned on during flight: "Cellphone use may disable autopilot (!!!???), interfere with ground communications, yada yada yada... while communications might be interrupted only temporarily, any interruption is unacceptable."

Is this really true?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Not during landing or take-off, presumably, though there are some airports well above 10,000 ft.

Why take a chance? Who is going to pay for the work to make sure it won't?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

any

Fascinating stuff.

1995, 737 airplane. A passenger laptop computer was reported to cause autopilot disconnects during cruise. Boeing purchased the computer from the passenger and performed a laboratory emission scan from 150 kHz to 1 GHz. The emissions exceeded the Boeing emission standard limits for airplane equipment at various frequency ranges up to 300 MHz.

Love the part about "Boeing purchased the computer from the passenger..."

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

The reason cell-phones are required "off" has to do with billing issues, NOT safety ;-)

...Jim Thompson

The qualifier "may" makes any of it _potentially_ true. Another poster gave this link:

...which describes a scenario with autopilots disengaging but says that "...Boeing was unable to confirm the reported interference between the PED and the airplane system."

In fact, in all three example scenarios on that web page, they couldn't reliably duplicate any of them in a lab environment. To me that suggests that either some jets were not meeting their own design specs or some PEDs were not meeting their CE/FCC approval specs. It's just odd... but of course with an airplane "better safe than sorry" makes a lot of sense!

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

I wonder how much trouble, a large number of cells seeing the same cellphone moving at 800km/h, would cause for the cellphone system?

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Imagine that you are on a long flight and lots of people were yakking on their cell phones. After a while, wouldn't you be tempted to smash some cell phones? Ah, now it becomes a safety issue ;)

Reply to
Dave Pollum

Hey! The airlines could hack their computers and delete their frequent flight mileage. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

any

Yep. I'm a very light user, a yes/no kind of talker... my father comments that to learn anything about the family he calls my wife ;-)

Mostly I use my cell phone for E-mail.

...Jim Thompson

Now imagine your laptop sounding a "bing" and a message pops up:

Found new hardware - Airbus 320 Configure now? Yes No

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Qantas has just completed a trial of using mobile phones whilst cruising. They plan to roll the system out by the end of the year fleet wide.

Reply to
The Real Andy

All I know that if my cell phone goes active within a meter radius of my kitchen radio, the noise is louder than the program I'm listening to (in fact the cell noise is independent of the radio's volume setting, so it couples into the audio frequency part, not the FM receiver).

So, yes, cell phones can introduce serious disturbances into poorly shielded equipment. They probably could flip bits in low-voltage logic systems. Flip too many, and the system could go haywire or shut itself down.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

A small off-topic anecdote here:

Back in the 70s, we had a Collins tech rep -- an electronic hobbyist, too -- working with us at MCI. He was called off the job to put out a fire in Australia.

On the flight back to the States, he passed the time by pulling some tools and parts out of his briefcase and wire-wrapping a logic board for his current project.

According to him, his activity drew very little attention.

I was thinking about that the other day, and wondering how that might have been perceived in a post-9/11 world. Think of how you'd feel on a long flight if, suddenly, your seatmate started assembling an electronic circuit!

Tom

Reply to
Tom2000

ROTFL!!!

Reply to
Tom2000

any

That's a good one!

If it's anything like Microsoft's products, once you hit No, it would still keep pestering you:

Found new hardware: Jet engine controller Configure now? Yes No Found new hardware: Autopilot Configure now? Yes No Found new hardware: Fly-by-wire Control System Configure now? Yes No

Reply to
mrdarrett

Happily, by design "aircraft" and "poorly shielded electronics" do *not* go together.

Or at least they shouldn't. And folks like Boeing spend a lot of money to make sure it doesn't generally happen.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Sometimes worse:

Automatic update started XXXXXXXXXXXXX_______ 60% complete

Cancel

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

any

Found New Hardware: Boeing Plug and Play Thrust Reversers. This driver is not Microsoft Certified. Downloading Microsoft driver now...

Reply to
mrdarrett