worker-guy tip for the day

If you're out there with one of those 2000 psi pressure washers, blowing all the mold and gunk off the decks, and you get a bunch of iccky stuff on your hand, really try to avoid the temptation to wash it off the obvious way.

Trust me on this one.

John

It can inject the pressurized water, plus any garbage you might have on your hands, into your bloodstream. Make sure your tetanus shots are up to date if this happens.

SHIFT TO THE LEFT!  SHIFT TO THE RIGHT!
POP UP, PUSH DOWN, BYTE, BYTE, BYTE!
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Yeah, I used to work in steamship engine rooms. If they suspected a tiny leak in one of the welds (all the piping joints were welded) they'd wave a broomstick around. A tiny, silent leak would just cut it in half.

John

No big deal. It's the rainy season here, and we live on the south side of our street (it's also the gay side of the street, but that's a whole nother story) so lots of stuff out front (sidewalks, stairs, decks) gets green, so I was out there power-washing. I whacked my hand from maybe 2 feet away, and at least didn't rip the skin off too much. Felt like a liquid shotgun.

Better than snow blowing, I guess.

Oh, the batting cage is up! Possibly the only batting cage in downtown San Francisco, although there are rumors of one other. Beats a foosball machine for sure. And it looks like I won't have to instrument the ball speed... the new Juggs machine has an LCD that reads directly in mph, and I'm inclined to believe it.

John

Oh, sorry.

1 mph = 1.609344 kph

John

Ouch. Feel like telling us the sad story?

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

*ouch*. I remember my dad telling me that on the navy ships they warned them not to go poking around high pressure steam lines with your fingers, lest there be a tiny invisible leak of high pressure superheated steam that could slice off your fingers.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

My dad used to have a sandblaster and I would get pressed into duty running it. Everyone wants to know how fast the sand come out when under pressure and everyone tests it. But just once.

Blakely

Reply to
Noone

I wish Icould understand the american dialect and terminology of English

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Batting is the act of hitting a baseball. You can piece it together from there. Juggs is presumably a brand of machine that pitches the baseball. Now, how about a succinct description of cricket.

Reply to
Mike Young

The small pipes, to pressure gages and sight glasses and transducers, were usually uninsulated, filled up with warm steam or cold water I guess.

John

Cricket

You have two side one out in the field and one in.

Each man that's in the side that's in goes out and when he's out he comes in, and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out tries to get those coming in out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When both sides have been in and out including the not outs, that's the end of the game.

Reply to
Paul Burke

Why is the word "innings" used as a singular in the equality "10 wickets = 1 innings" ???

-a

Reply to
Andy Peters

Uninsulated pipes? Or did they remove the insulation for the testing?

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to

"An ancient ritual that brings rain"??

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

Don't you have foosball over there?

During the height of the dot.com insanity, no self-respecting Perl-pounding solutions provider would dare have a facility without an expresso bar and a foosball table. After the crash, you couldn't give the damned things away.

Stupid, annoying game if you ask me.

The batting cage is a net enclosure, 11x11x55 feet in size. Near one end is the Juggs electric pitching machine; at the other end is a "home plate" where the batter stands, and a backstop to absorb the kinetic energy of the ones she misses. It's a "softball", somewhat bigger than a baseball, and there's nothing soft about it. The Juggs can hurl them at 70 mph, and it's terrifying. The Brat, when she connects, can send them back at the ball feeder (ie, me) even faster. We rigged up a net screen which I hide behind for some nominal protection.

Slow-pitch softball is a very popular coed sports activity here, involving a lot of beer and flirting after the games. The Brat plays fast-pitch for Cornell, very much like US baseball, very intense. Recent legal decisions mandate that girls sports receive equal funding as boys, so girls softball, and girls sports in general, are finally getting serious coaching and funding.

Do girls play cricket?

John

Girls' play is never cricket ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Cricket - BAtting is the act of hitting the cricket ball. A batter or batsman is the hitter of the cricket ball

Juggs equivelent in cricket would have to be the bowler, that is the one who bowls the ball. Note, there is a difference bettween throwing(chucking) and bowling, and the former is illegal in cricket.

When training, the bowler will bowl to a batsman in the nets. The nets are probably the equivelent of the batting cage.

Succint, not easy.

A bowler bowls a ball to the batsman. The batsman attemtps to hit it. When he hits the ball, he has to run betweem the stumps, which are placed at either end of the pitch, which is a concrete like piece of grass in the middle of the oval(park?). Each time he runs between the from one set of stumps (aka wickets), to the other end, he gets a run. If a fielder was to throw the ball and hit the stumps whilst the batsman was outside of his grounds (the area about 1 meter in fromt of the stupms) then the batsman is deemed to be out. If a fielder catches a ball on the full, then the batsman is deemed to be out.

Now, if the bowler was to bowl and hit the stumps, then batsman is deemed to be out. If the bowler hits the batsman's legs in such a fashion that if the batsmans legs were not there then the stupms would be hit, then he is deemed to be out also (Leg Before Wickets).

10 wickets = 1 innings. When an innings is complete the other team bats. In test cricket, each team gets 2 innings, One day matches each team gets one innings.

This is the shortest explanation I could find

The Real Andy

mph, even 'feet', we can understand - 'foosball' is quaint but what the heck is a 'batting cage'? A Juggs machine I'm assuming is down at the Hooters bar??

Cheers.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

Got five days? Takes that long for a Test Match (which begs the question: how long for a real one?).

Cheers.

Ken (Who only ever really enjoyed in Australian Rules football.....)

Reply to
Ken Taylor