Windows 10

On a sunny day (Thu, 02 Oct 2014 20:29:27 +0100) it happened Tom Gardner wrote in :

Dear gardner, I started programming in machine code, 0101010 sort of thing. Asm is to me a high level language. C is a bit higher level, without losing much of old asm.

So I think I know more about it than most here, expecially the C++ idiots. C++ is a crime against humanity, its inventer should be on the terrorist list:

No fly, whatsthatplace in Cuba (free hotel)? There are more languages written by those hostile to bits.

I can build a computah from a box of transistors, and write all soft without any 'tools'.

I can build a teefee from a box of transistiors too. And for neither of those things do I need to google.

Your club of 'experts' that does embedded and cannot write 2 lines of asm without needing an ICE or slimulators, is a generation wasted.

HEY I always wanted to say that!

ARCHIVE ARCHIVE ARCHIVE LOL

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 02 Oct 2014 09:52:40 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Did it work?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 02 Oct 2014 13:33:17 -0400) it happened Phil Hobbs wrote in :

That explains everything. IBM? never heard of it.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 03 Oct 2014 08:45:34 +0100) it happened Tom Gardner wrote in :

Java is also a crime against humanity.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 02 Oct 2014 16:13:28 -0500) it happened Jon Elson wrote in :

I still have a server with a Tyan mobo and one ISA slot (the rest is PCI). It runs Linux grml, and one one partition is old win98, the only thing that has a driver for my flatbed scanner. I have an ISA card (Philips analog TV) for it somewhere. After replacing the graphics card one day that win98 has no drivers for, it only runs in low resolution, I do not want to let go of that computah, as it is (when running Linux) so reliable. Tyan makes nice mobos.

Maybe a lot of complaints about software these days can be traced down to crappy cheap hardware.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 03 Oct 2014 09:37:08 +0100) it happened Tom Gardner wrote in :

Maybe that is the point, people start using language features that were put there by people who did not understand what C can do. So they amended the language, and using amended pieces the later programmers caused havoc.

C++ being a prime example.

I always try to keep as close to the basic C as possible, that makes things portable, and prevents disasters. My guide is libc.info, without that I could _not_ I repeat __not__ write working code for Linux or Unix in C. It covers everything from networking to whatever. Also I try to not use so many libraries, or as few as possible. This because once these version numbers change, you have to rewrite your code. You already have to do that on a regular basis anyways, as the APIs for Linux (DVB for example) are also a moving target. gets a bit tiresome some times. For that reason I never upgrade kernel, unless there is some absolutely magical thing I must have, as then the rewriting is worth it.

Well, nuf said about it all I think... back to tronix.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

It's a TLD and you never heard of it?

--
127.0.53.53

Jasen Betts

printf is sufficient, but gdb can be faster

Trust but verify, I've encoutered two optimiser bugs.

yeah, it does very good static analysis.

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

40 key words and 50 operators it's a simple language.

To fully understand C, you only need to know 90 things fully.

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

NaN is a float* if they're getting that something is going wrong.

  • or perhaps not, depending on how literal you want to be, anyway, it's an IEEE-754 value.

getting NaN instead of an integer doesn't feel very python.

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

On a sunny day (3 Oct 2014 10:52:46 GMT) it happened Jasen Betts wrote in :

What a TLD?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Yet, as always, you're compelled to "waste your time". Amazing idiot.

Reply to
krw

TLD = Top Level Domain (IBM's is 9.x.x.x).

But of course that's Transmission Control Protocol / Internet Protocol, which you're probably never heard of either. Must be all that mud you guys specialize in over there. ;)

Cheers

Phil

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

AKA "Class-A domain"

Reply to
krw

On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 08:18:55 GMT, Jan Panteltje Gave us:

I have written in assembler. I know exactly what a compiler does.

You, on the other hand, are the idiot.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 08:23:03 GMT, Jan Panteltje Gave us:

I have compiled many kernels.

Even by way of more than one endian.

So I probably beat you in that respect as well.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 08:46:17 GMT, Jan Panteltje Gave us:

Actually, that moniker befalls you.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Can you pair please get a /real/ newsreader, and a /real/ newsserver, and learn how to snip? 450+ lines "quoted", doubling every idiotic google groups muck-up, just to add a couple of lines of comment. The signal-to-noise ratio is getting absurd.

Reply to
David Brown

Personally, I use relatively modern Linux kernels (say, less than perhaps 8 years old) that are perfectly aware of the difference between hyperthreaded "fake" cpus and real hardware cpus, and that take the difference into account when scheduling.

It was only some poor versions of Windows that performed better with hyperthreading disabled - Linux knows how to treat them appropriately.

Reply to
David Brown

Oh, good Grief. Pay attention before opening your mouth. John uses Agent and Supernews. Yell at the stupid Google groupies! There are a lot of them here.

Reply to
krw