Windows 8

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com

Any article that refers to "fondleslabs" is a good article.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Surely this is no surprise?!

I was "laid up" for a while and pulled an older Tablet PC out thinking it would be more convenient to use "in bed" for long periods of time than a laptop.

It was -- for reading various research papers and marking them up with a stylus, sketching data relationships, etc.

But, I can't see how it could be useful for much else! If I needed to "write" anything, sure I could drag out a wireless keyboard. But, doesn't that leave me with a "two piece laptop"??

I'll (eventually) install eReaders for each of the various document formats I have, here. Then, install larger drives in each and treat the tablets as a "Library-in-a-Slab".

If "Microsoft" is the answer, then you're asking the wrong question!

Reply to
Don Y

The two things I want a tablet PC for are for reading stuff, and to use as a serial terminal when I'm out and about.

So far this hasn't motivated me to buy...

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I don't understand the serial terminal? How is this any better than a small laptop? Or, do you expect to use an "onscreen" keyboard? (I had looked at a tiny netbook as a serial terminal but it was just

*too* small. Perhaps if I had tiny hands...)

Mine are a fair bit larger than an iPad (and heavier). But, the stylus is really handy for writing annotations, drawing sketches, etc. in marking up documents. Much more natural than a desktop with mouse.

I'm just not sure I want to invest in huge disks for this purpose (currently, my document library is available on NAS... not portable).

Reply to
Don Y

For small amounts of typing it is possible to use a touch screen.

I wouldn't want to type a long document on one though.

ASUS do a slick hybrid with a modest SSD and detachable keyboard.

I like it. In as much as the hardware is very nice and well engineered Windows 8 like all even numbered MickeySoft offerings is crap.

Unless you like cubist Picasso on a bad acid trip Windows 8 is a PITA.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

One of the $79 Chinese wonders makes a good bedside browser. Gains access a lot faster than breaking open Windows.

"These *are* the Droids you're looking for. Move along, move along."

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

My particular use case involves sitting next to a model airplane, grabbing something out of my tool box or pocket, and having a conversation with the processor.

It could be done with a lap top, but that would be another several pounds to lug around.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Well, John, everyone knows that Win8 sucks. Except for those who don't know.

Reply to
John S

OK. So, you're not really "saying much" (in that conversation with the processor). An on-screen keyboard would be acceptable.

When I'm using a serial terminal, it's usually to troubleshoot a headless server that won't boot. So, a bit more involved (and "anxious").

Reply to
Don Y

You need an HP48. :) 9600 bps max and no flow control lines, but a set of 3 AAAs lasts a couple of years. As a bonus, it also does math.

for the info (tip: the connector on the calculator is 2 mm, not 0.1") and
for a terminal emulator.

In these modern times, it seems like you would be able to plug a USB- to-serial converter into a USB OTG port on your handy Android phone and do it that way, but I don't know if anyone has made this work.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Couldn't you also drag out an old PDA with built in serial "sync" I/F (though wonky connector)? Hmmm... that may be worth exploring...

Reply to
Don Y