Windows 10

Actually, one of the reasons I prefer Linux is that it has better hardware support. There are occasional devices that are only supported under Windows - but when that happens, the supplier is often fussy about exactly /which/ version of Windows is supported.

When I say Linux has better hardware support, I don't mean it supports more devices (though it does, especially for older devices) - I mean the support is better. You get a device, you plug it into your Linux system, and it works. When you plug it into your Windows system, you then have a hunt for the drivers - do you use the accompanying CD? Do you let Windows figure it out itself? Do you download drivers from the vendor's website? If you are lucky, it all works - if you are unlucky, the vendor feels you need to install trial versions of a series of crapware along with the driver, and perhaps switch your browser to using "Ask" searches if you missed one of the checkboxes. It is particular "fun" if you need the driver for a network card, can't download it because you have no network, and you need another machine to download the 120 MB setup file (for a network card driver!). Even better is when the "driver" you tried to download is just a hardware identification program that then downloads the /real/ driver - except it can't, because your network card is not working.

Of course, I have had trouble with Linux systems too - no system is perfect. But Linux seldom gives me the feeling it was designed by morons.

Reply to
David Brown

Yup, I have 9 computers at home running Linux, all of them work quite well. Several are running relatively newer Ubuntu 12.04, the rest are running older versions. I also have several systems at work running Linux. My desktop there has been up 203 days straight. Our power at home is not that reliable, so we get rebooted now and then.

About the only problem we have is my kids use Open Office to write school papers, and maybe if you really know it, it might be good, but they struggle with some of the formatting stuff. I use TeX, and I ought to teach them how, but it is pretty "techy".

So, my wife, daughters and sons all use Linux a lot. (One son bought himself a laptop, and it has Windows 8 for now...)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

xkcd #456 is REALLY old, certainly over a decade. It DID used to be messier. They have improved a LOT.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Yes, this is quite funny. In fact, the CPU feature called hyperthreading is entirely to help the crummy scheduler in various Windows versions to appear to work OK. On a Linux system, I always turn it off, as sometimes it is a lot better to run very few threads on the physical cores at full speed, rather than having all cores running at half speed.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Sometimes Windows just stops doing everything for a few seconds (and comes back, if you're lucky.)

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Does your display go black? I thought my computer was the only one doing that.

Reply to
John S

98 had a limited heap size, XP fixed that. Probably one of the best improvements.

Martin Riddle

No, but Windows sometimes does its own thing for a while... and doesn't run my things.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

It's been done:

From memory, there's even a Theremin app for it...

Chris.
Reply to
Chris

Yet it seems that's the solution to everything. Rather than the three-finger-salute, it's recompile and restart. Tell us the truth, how many times have you recompiled Linux? I have *never* recompiled Win. ;-)

Reply to
krw

XP was a step back before it was a big step forward, from Win2K. Not sure Win7 has caught up yet.

Er, no. It's *exactly* the point. You're trying to prove something with an anecdote. Don't work that way.

So you admit that you're being less than honest. Fine.

It certainly didn't the last time I tried to load it. It came up with an unreadable display and there was no way to debug it. It simply wasn't worth going forward with it. Before that, I was always recompiling apps. No thanks! I'm done with all that stuff.

You're lying. You had to make sure there were drivers for the hardware. Much hardware just *doesn't* work under Linux and will never be supported.

Don't bother lying to me. You have enough problems with yourself.

Reply to
krw

Windows 95 was my favorite OS. It was the last operating system I really un derstood. I used it until 2007. With a couple of additional dlls and instal ling Internet Explorer which added a bunch more dlls, I could get it to do anything that Win 98 did. Unlike XP you could still bit bang the hardware p orts. I used DJGPP to write C programs with Assembly code to access the PCI Bus. With XP on, I need drivers and third party software to deal with the hardware. Heck I barely know how to setup Win 7.

Reply to
Wanderer

I can't tell what mine is doing during those few seconds, so I don't know if it has stopped running my things. Only lasts for about 2 or 3 seconds.

Reply to
John S

How does one recompile Win?

Reply to
John S

Someone had to. ...so I don't have to!

Reply to
krw

On Wed, 01 Oct 2014 15:58:33 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz Gave us:

It was never available for compilation.

So Linux is accessible, or one thing.

Even BeOS was a cool *IX variant, but their sources were never available either.

It was actually a pretty nice desktop, and that was back over ten years ago.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It sure is, with dementia slowly moving in on the average elderly, the market is guaranteed.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Ah, so you do recognize that ^^^^^^

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

I have one product where the cal algorithm includes a signed fractional divide. I was shocked to learn that the FPGA can do that easily, too.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

If you do get it to work, let us know!