Windows 10

There seems to be a consensus that I don't need to know, shouldn't know or you just don't know..

I want to know how the TOOLS, as you say, know how it's done..

There comes a time where the TOOLS can fail you, not because they just don't do what you want, due to lack of understanding, because they do something incorrectly or is not the way you really want it done for more advanced purposes.

I thought with the explanation of how windows manages the process or locating dynamic entry points would be a clue as to what I was looking for, deep with in the process of how the LIBS are made and managed. I guess this may involve one that actually writes driver or system code to answer this.

If you really don't know that depth, that's fine.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Nobody's busting your chops - it's just not clear what you are looking for.

It's not that advanced. External references are first bound by the linker - ld in Linux ( which is usually invoked under the gcc/g++ compiler verb ).

You then have to specify .so files ( linux .dlls ) so it can scour them for binding reference. Once it's satisfied everything's bound, it'll gen an a.out file for you.

But! it's possible to use dlopen() and other tools to truly dynamically load object code. This is pretty fiddly.

The Komodo toolkit does this at length:

They're made by the toolchain; you tell it "instead of making a .exe/a.out, make me a .lib, a .dll or a .so."

Then these are consumed by the linker and then the loader.

Drivers and/or system code are a completely different subject.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Or a new neuron.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell