Why You Must Act Now (2023 Update)

ingSource=articleShare

r:

on.

It might be worth making it more elaborate.

The chance that infected person infects somebody else rises with the time a fter infection, and peaks at the time they start showing symptoms.

The process of being infected and showing symptoms is a number of cycles of a single virus particle infecting a single cell, taking it over and turnin g it into a virus factory until it exhausted and bursts, spreading out of n ew generation of virus particles.

Some the new generation stick around in the original host and infect more c ells, while others escape to infect new hosts. the proportions are going to be same all the way through the process - the virus particles have no info rmation about how many other cells they have infected until the immune syst em response kicks in.

The original host is getting progressively sicker, and their immune system is eventually going to start to churn out anti-bodies and produce fever and so forth.

The number of virus particles generated and shed will rise exponentially un til the immune system kicks in, so most of the infections will happen in th e last stage of the process.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Really?

Reply to
John S

Maybe this will help you understand:

"In total, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland has a population of 63.18 million people in an area of 93,628 sq mi (242,495 sq km) vs the United States of America which has population of 309.35 million in an area of 3,805,927 sq mi (9,857,306 sq km)."

Google it.

Reply to
John S

Old people like cruises, which were already notorious for spreading diseases. Best thing to do is tow all the hideous cruise ships out to sea and scuttle them.

It's possible that the infection has already peaked, but with a lot of asymptomatic young people, and no testing kits, nobody noticed.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"
Reply to
jlarkin

Some people like cruises and some people like skiing. Let's also scuttle skiing resorts/lodges.

Reply to
John S

You don't see mass outbreaks of disease among skiiers, like you do among cruisers. Those ships are basically you-cant-get-away petri dishes, loaded with frail old people and, apparently, dangerous HVAC and food prep systems. Lots of dense group activity, too.

Open water, and chair lifts, are pretty clean places. Person-to-person contact with strangers is unusual on a ski slope, and can cost you your lift ticket.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"
Reply to
jlarkin

onsdag den 18. marts 2020 kl. 14.46.43 UTC+1 skrev snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com:

afaict much of how it started to spread across the EU was people bringing it back from ski vacation

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Almost all of the initial cases in the UK were people who had been on skiing holidays in France and the North of Italy. It isn't out on the slopes that you catch it but the apres ski in the evenings.

UK patient three infected about half a dozen people in two countries before he showed symptoms. He caught it at a conference in Singapore:

Regards,
Martin Brown
Reply to
Martin Brown

In the USA where the test kits are complete crap and there have been fewer tests done than in the UK you have no idea how it is spreading. I think you will notice though when healthcare implodes under the strain.

There hasn't been enough time yet for it to be a full pandemic. We know what that *will* look like since Italy is well up the curve. The USA thanks to Trumps utter incompetence is now on the same trajectory.

The recent crush at US immigration pretty much guarantees a 10-100 fold transmission of any cases that were in those very crowded conditions.

In the UK it is circulating freely in London now but in the remote rural North where I live there have only been 8 confirmed cases so far and all of them were people who had been on holiday skiing in Northern Italy or their close contacts. Contact tracing was working OK for a while.

The guy who published the scary report than panicked our government into trashing the economy on Monday night is presently ill with it and self isolating. It didn't stop him doing a Skype interview with BBC Radio 4's Today Programme this morning. The threat to healthy fit individuals is not all that great but the threat to the infirm elderly is massive.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Am 18.03.20 um 14:46 schrieb snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com:

ing resorts/lodges.

You don't read the news, do you?

Here in Germany, half of the infections could be traced back to a couple that visited a carnival session while already being ill.

Of the rest, most are skiers returned from either south Tyrol (Italy) or Tyrol ( Austria). The single hot spot was Bad Ischgl in Tyrol where one Barkeeper was linked to at least 40 cases.

It was first found out in Iceland (!) where they screened passengers of a flight home and found > 6 people with fewer, all of them from Bad Ischgl. The Tyrolians were notified but ignored it so they could get the money for a full week more of the main season.

about heavy drinking and sex.

Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Yeah, that looks a lot like "almost no intercontinental flights"!

--

  Rick C.

  ----+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ----+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

What possible basis do you have for suggesting the infection has already peaked??? You just make up shit to suit your warped mind.

You are a nasty piece of work.

--

  Rick C.

  ---+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ---+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

ng.

ve

er

ly

ve

This level of deliberate ignorance in a single person is truly amazing. An yone who has ever been skiing knows the crowding that occurs in the areas w here you rent and/or set up your equipment and in the bar/restaurants or th e overnight accommodations. Yes, ski resorts are excellent places to trans mit diseases.

Some people are just truly pathetic. This isn't about thinking. It's a de liberate effort to not think, but rather to support an opinion that is base d on emotion.

--

  Rick C.

  ---++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ---++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

I like the way people dismiss the 1 in 1000 threat of dying as "not all that great" just because it is next to the 1 in 100 threat of dying of others.

This is a serious disease no matter how you look at it. But you do need to have your eyes open when looking at it.

--

  Rick C.

  --+-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --+-- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Then don't buy expensive boots or lift tickets.

Well, don't do that. You can get herpes, syphilis, gonorrhea, hepatitis, and any one of about 40 potentiality cancer-causing viruses.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"
Reply to
jlarkin

Most people, especially vigorous young people (who are most of the skiers) get mild or asymptomatic cases of coronavirus. I've seen a claim that 85% of cases are never reported. So isolate and try to treat frail people and let the virus burn out among young healthy people. That does not seem to be the current popular-panic strategy.

Extended social isolation may well extend the peak into the next flu season, a double hump like 1918.

I've never caught a disease while on a ski vacation, but then I ski a lot and don't party much. Anybody who crowds into bars a lot, and hooks up a lot, is at risk for all sorts of stuff anywhere.

With R0 over 2 or so, the virus will follow the course of all cold and flu viruses. They end when the herd becomes immune and R0 falls below unity. Sometimes vaccines help, sometimes they don't.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"
Reply to
jlarkin

I've seen claims like "... we have it totally under control. It?s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It?s going to be just fine."

Reply to
Tom Gardner

It's also important to remember it is "only" 1 in 1000 chance of dying if you have access to good hospital treatment. The rate goes up quickly when the hospitals are full (or understaffed, or underequipped).

And for a sizeable proportion of those who are not likely to die of it, it can still be very unpleasant - high fever, a lot of pain, lots of coughing that stops you from sleeping, etc. Yes, most young, healthy people will get only minor symptoms, but the proportion who will suffer unpleasantly is a lot higher than anyone would like.

Indeed.

Reply to
David Brown

With the old people still aboard? Seems radical.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

The deaths so far in the USA that are blamed on C19 just passed 100. That's about 0.3 PPM of the population.

A graph in today's SF Chronicle shows total reported flu cases vs month for the last 6 years. Last winter was worse than this one. This flu season double-peaked in January and is now dropping off hard, as they all do around March.

Some countries claim that their C19 epidemic is pretty much over. If it is as virulent as is claimed, everyone in a country will catch it in a couple of months. China had its first official case in November.