Why is electronics so complicated?

I think you are pathetic. If I ever met you, it would be only for a laugh. You warrant no other consideration.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

An inductor is not a resistor, idiot.

Carbon film? Sure you don't mean carbon comp? Not many carbon films around much more. Nearly none at 1%. Probably more expensive than hugely mass produced metal film versions as well.

Carbon comps are different than metal films as well. They have Bakelite overclad bodies (or epoxy). They are all brown. It is how they are made, not how they are coated. Most are not coated. They get value stripes painted on, and that's about it.

Examples of what? They are not painted (metal films), they are covered in an epoxy type paint/dip/cladding. Very similar but thinner than that which a disc capacitor is dipped into to seal it away from the environment. When heated, it discolors, so choosing a light color (blue) that turns darker is better than choosing a dark epoxy color like tan or brown, or dark blue, and not being able to distinguish thermal damage as readily. I have seen brand differences that range from a very light blue all the way through nearly green turquoise, but all were light colors such that the stripes would be the most readily visible.

It is probably very similar to "Stycast" thermal epoxy formulations. Probably a good reason why we do not see caps and resistors being clad in white epoxy. I do not know what it is, but it would likely be composition related, because that or a light gray would also be good choices. I have seen old mil parts that were light gray. It will show dark or light print if the right shade is chosen.

To put it simply... It is not an indicator of the type or process by which the resistor was made, it is an indicator of a maker that had enough common sense to choose a good background color for his epoxy dip, and nothing more.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

nd

Did you figure out Ohm's law by yourself when you were a kid, or did you have some help? My mother taught music, so I learned to play piano, but electronics was hard, since nobody in my family knew much about it.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

"Life is like a sewer. What you get out of it depends on what you put into it." -- Tom Lehrer

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Though, with the exception of lawyering, you needn't expect reaching the top tier to deliver financial reward.

And for the mediocre, becoming a manager is in any case the way to go.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

My uncle Sheldon had been a WWII radio operator and then had his own TV repair business. He used to babysit me and taught me to solder when I was three. We built crystal sets, power supplies, oscillators, all sorts of stuff. Plus he had a shed full of stolen military electronics. He never understood transistors, so I had to figure them out for myself. I still remember the day I built a curve tracer using my Knight-Kit scope, and saw what a transistor actually does.

John

No, fucktard. I do hate people. People like you.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

My first exposure to electronics was a 7th grade radio/electronics class. We built a crystal radio and wound our own inductor using 100 turns of wire on a used toilet paper core. Worked well and I built a second unit using a smaller chassis. Then we went on to build a TRF receiver with one tuned RF stage and a audio amp using tubes. This was in 1957 when transistors were not well known. The final project was a superhet but nobody got that far. I collected a few parts but never got the thing going, but got an A in the class anyway. It was the first A I ever got. Later I was drafted into the military in 1967 (on my 21st birthday) and discovered Ohm's law and transistors in the military schools. But it was all theory and I didn't believe it until I set up an experiment one night with a transistor and 2 current meters to monitor the collector and base currents. I had a pot in series with the base to adjust the base current and watched the collector current increase many times more than the base current, and was a believer at that moment.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

My first *exposure* to electron-ics was when I turned on the 1964 all metal case style drill motor with a mere two wire non-phased power cord in my bare feet as a 6 year old kid out in Dad's garage.

You guys are all lucky that I am still here. ;-)

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

Yes, we are *so* blessed by your presence.

My old Hallicrafters S38 shortwave receiver had one side of the AC line soldered directly to the chassis, so I had to reverse the plug every time it zapped me.

Life was cheap in those days.

John

When I was young, our neighbor had a drill with one side of the line connected to the case. We did lose a few kids - probably the ones that sweat too much. It was a form of natural selection

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to

Perhaps, I will simply ignore the retarded, immature bastard that is greegor, taking away from him the one thing he so desperately needs.

What your behavior makes you is also below your aptitude level, so there is no sense even declaring the level of low life twit that you are, because you are too stupid to get it.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

If you're such a smart person, Archie, then why do the Engineers call you "Dimbulb" and "AlwaysWrong" ?

Are they all jealous of your greatness?

Or are they afraid of your threats on usenet?

Reply to
Greegor

Don't forget "Nymbecile".

Yeah, that must be it.

Reply to
krw

To be absolutely accurate, you are full of shit, boy.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

You tally in at zero. A number you have trouble grasping the meaning of.

Stand and deliver, boy. If I were a junk yard dog, you'd be a dead, gnawed on dumbfuck. Do some math on that, boy. If I were any of the things you and your retarded Johnny Wrong crew have been calling me, you would already be dead, because I DO know where you are, boy.

Since you are still around, I think the ID of my species is safe, as well as my character.

You, on the other hand... just made the title of slug. Despite how well you calculator works.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

When you find someone in this group with that name, you can then go find the bridge. No. Go find the bridge anyway, f*****ad.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

You really should see your shrink about that scat complex.

Reply to
krw

Do you really expect him to give up mucking out horse stalls?

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!

G > Everybody loves you, Archie!

Archie > When you find someone in this Archie > group with that name, you can Archie > then go find the bridge. =A0No. Archie > Go find the bridge anyway, f*****ad.

You can use all 100 of your aliases but you're still Archimedes' Lever! (and Dimbulb, Nymnal the no nuts nymshifter, AlwaysWrong, etc.)

Clearly you have issues about your identity.

Why is that?

Reply to
Greegor