Why Is 47 So Popular In Electronics?

Or 0.00047?

A good selection of caps, resistors, etc all seem to include the size

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

Some people, especially the folks who make power resistors, tend to ignore the "E" series, and make things like 50 ohm 10% resistors.

We, like a lot of people lately, prefer to use only 1% resistors, the E96 series.

We avoid leading zeroes and small integer values, too. Like your

0.00047. 0.33 uF is 330 nF to us.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

You're not really serious are you Brett?

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Oh, he is.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

as others have said E6

10^(4/6)
--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

I know Bret from other groups. You are probably correct.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

OK, here's a more difficult question:

Why do 16" diameter flour tortillas come in packages of 10 that weigh

3.20 lbs?

Why is it so important for a flour tortilla to weigh 0.32 lbs +/- 0.05 lbs?

That comes out to be 5.12 oz or 145.3 gms.

Reply to
Bret Cahill

The weight is not important, the ability to see the loss in weight is. Less weight = more dry.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

A much more serious question is why hand tools come in packaging that requires a cutting torch to open, while light bulbs are sold in the flimsiest cardboard known to man.

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers

Except for CFLs. A while back (when they were still $10 each) I had one whose plastic packaging seemed to be bomb-proof. I slit along one edge, and as I struggled to free the little beastie, it launched itself skyward and self-destructed when it hit the dining room table. This was definitely a case of "ten dollars a pop"... with a real "pop" !

Best regards,

Bob Masta DAQARTA v6.02 Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter Frequency Counter, FREE Signal Generator Pitch Track, Pitch-to-MIDI Science with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta

I use my *band saw* to get into modern blister packs. I slice open three sides. It's fast, easy and noisy. What's not to like?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston