Why is electronics so complicated?

Hell, both electronics and software are simple--they obey cause and effect, and when you find what's wrong and fix it, it's fixed.

*Marriage*, now, *that's* complicated. Maybe we should pass a law that limits spouses to a uniform standardized appearance and some predetermined number of simple behaviours.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

-- balance snipped --

Yes, but what you're suggesting is central control. Central control is billed as being altruistic, but what it ends up being "about" is the ability of the central planners to get what they want, preferably with stomping the rest of humanity into the mud so they can feel superior.

And I'm part of 'the rest of humanity'.

So, flawed as it is, I like my free market economy just fine, thank you. I don't want it taken over by central planners from the government. I don't want it taken over by central planners from monopolistic corporations. I don't want it taken over by central planners from the Catholic Church, the United Evangelical Churches of The Whole Damn World, the Buddists, Judaism, Islam, Atheism, or any other religion. I don't want it taken over by central planners from _anywhere!_. In return, I'm willing to live with a bit of stupidity.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

As you point out, the difficulty is finding out what's wrong, or in fact that

*anything* is wrong. Part of the problem with software is the specs are so poor (we don't know what it's _supposed_ to do). After that, the process of development is poor, and programmers are lazy.

Like "get me a beer"?

Reply to
krw

Especially if you intend one that continually develops into an increasingly profound friendship and still lasts long term. My marriage is now at 33 years and I've worked out of the home for almost all of that (that means 24/7 time together) and she is my very best friend. Complex doesn't get the half of it, though.

Works for some, I suppose. Met a few where just some such mystical force appeared to be in play. ;)

Of course, your point is different. I'm just playing with your thoughts, is all.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

You recommend this over the operational model of getting a new wife every, say, 3 years -- you could have been on #11 by now?

:-)

Just kidding... congratulations on your marriage!

Reply to
Joel Koltner
[snip]

Naaaah! We're coming up on our 51st Anniversary... not quite sure how we got here... the time just zoomed by... 4 children... 8 grandchildren... we could easily see great grandchildren soon :-) ...Jim Thompson

On a sunny day (Wed, 29 Dec 2010 11:27:16 -0600) it happened " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in :

It is next to 'A', 'B', and spelled 'C'.

Hope this helps :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I'm just pointing out that we're spending way too much electronic ink on a proposal that in a sane society would be met with howls of derisive laughter, ideally leading the proposer to re-examine his position and become wiser for another day.

There are lots of folks who can cope with the complexity of electronics and software fine, or at least well enough to make a living and produce useful stuff. Dumbing everything down Soviet-style is not a sensible proposal, especially not after 70+ years of very painful experimental evidence from Russia.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Big customer requests a change; small customers enjoy the result.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Software could take great deal of effort to develop, but software isn't complex. Common mistake is mixing the "difficulty" and the "complexity".

Surprisingly small number of people understand the difference between the realization of a known concept and the development of the conceptually new thing.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

Maxim does that. I read an interview with the CEO, and he bragged about it. We don't use Maxim unless absolutely necessary, maybe three parts out of 5000 in stock.

We use singles and duals. Quads are a mixed bag, fewer packages but worse placement/routing. For fast stuff, singles are best.

John

.

sed

rt

,

To claim that for years up until that time new cars were available but no spares only shows that the dumbness lies not with the central planners this time, but with those that believe such stories.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Complicated? I hadn't noticed.

John

This, from an alley cat?

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!

"Software" is a very broad term, and can range from simple designs that run a room thermostat, to exceptionally complex designs, such as a enterprise class database that a company like Wal-Mart would find acceptable to use.

Reply to
Arlet Ottens

Hehe. I'm very lucky the way things are! She is my first and only, too.

Thanks. But while we've been through everything that might break up people (and far more, since we have two disabled children, one profoundly autistic and experiencing grand mal seizures that have broken her arms, smashed out her teeth, given her 3rd degree burns over largish areas of sensitive skin, and threatens to kill her every single waking day), we have found our way and become far stronger and more profound friends for all that we've been through with each other, too.

Those experiences have shaped us and there is no way anyone else could ever come anywhere close to having and knowing what we know without having to say so much as a single word about it, now. We can just look for a second a each other and communicate so much. Our focus is no longer on what is between us, but on what is outside of us -- larger goals beyond our family and towards helping others.

There is nothing anyone else could ever hope to offer that would cause me to spend a single second considering losing all that -- except perhaps some permanent security and love for my daughter after we die, I suppose. (No contract, no trust fund amount, can force love and good relationship.) On that odd score, both my wife and I would simply look at each other with eyes that say, "yes, go for it you idiot." But we wouldn't lose what we've gained over the years, either.

It's a powerful feeling to have been through so much and to have survived everything others go through and far more and still remain standing and all the stronger for the challenges experienced. It does give truth to that saw, "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger."

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

The difference is only in the amount of dumb legwork.

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

Same here, but for more than one reason. I'll go *way* out of my way to design out a Maxim part.

I only use quads in very cost sensitive applications (if I can save enough money we do the project, otherwise...) or where space is at an absolute premium (trying to squeeze one more circuit under an existing shield). We don't have any "fast stuff". I don't even think we have any single opamps (comparators, sure) in our parts control system.

Reply to
krw

You don't understand governments very well. The US didn't buy a spares package for the F-16, to keep it's apparent costs down. Whenever they need spares they're purchased in onesies, sometimes requiring re-tooling.

Reply to
krw

Everyone knows your illiterate. You don't have to broadcast the fact.

Reply to
krw