who wants to be a "recording" engineer?

In engineering-centric companies, like Agilent or Tek, the engineers are at the top of the food chain. In more science-oriented settings, analytical chemistry or medical stuff, engineers are way down the heirarchy. It's similar in software: if you're a programmer for Google, you're hip; if you maintain patient records software in a hospital, the MDs are the superstars so they stick you in a windowless hovel in the basement and pretend you don't exist.

Engineers who are not superstars develop coping mechanisms with various degrees of disfunctionality.

Somebody should tell senior EE students about stuff like this.

John

A lot of it is just not being awake.

As a young mechanical engineer, I should have known enough not to work for a company called Westinghouse ELECTRIC Corporation.

Reply to
Al

Some peoples attitude to this side of engineering, is quite "interesting".

I picked this "plum" from rec.audio.pro

With symphony orchestras, there is a definate 'pecking order' and recording > engineers are in the 'untouchable' or 'dirty peasant' class. I was told that > I was NOT to talk to the conductor (not even introduce myself) or the > members of the orchestra, but that the admin staff and Orchestra Chair would > do the negotiating.

Are we not lucky here?

martin

After the first death, there is no other. (Dylan Thomas)

Reply to
martin griffith

I would just smile and tell them to piss off, that I do not waste my time on primadonas as I walked out the door.

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I'd tell anyone feeding me such shit to go f**k themselves actually.

Classic 'oily rag' syndrome. Popular in the UK where 'engineers' are considered to be the same as technicians or mechanics. Class prejudice rools OK.....

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

that

would

Let's face it. They won't be doing much without you !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

That's the whole idea. Let them run the board themselves and see if they can even make a recording, let alone a usable master. The hourly rate goes up when you have to redo it. Of course, if its your equipment they won't be doing anything.

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yes, but this probably has something to do with all those people calling themselves "engineers" that don't do much more then wave an oily rag. With all due respect to "sound engineers", they are indeed at the equivalent level of technicians and mechanics. Usually, less as most real technicians and mechanics go through recognised apprenticeships with formal qualifications (e.g. City and Guilds, ONC, HNC). Just about anyone twiddling faders on a desk calls themselves a "sound engineer".

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

_Graduate_ recording engineer? What will they think of next?

--
  Keith
Reply to

"Kevin Aylward" wrote

And to do with employers who mis-label jobs.

At the last place I worked the coffee simulator was re-filled and had its dripping bits wiped by a contracted female. She announced that she was going to apply for an "engineer"'s job so could mend them.

Reply to
dB

That's not my experience Kevin. At least not at the level where you're dealing with a symphony orchestra.

One of the most intelligent men ( in *every respect * ) I ever met was a sound recordist.

I know where you're coming from. Such guys *don't* mix gold and platinum discs though.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Ahhhh - so the trend to 'overeducate' with disregard to actual job opportunities isn't confined to the UK then ? I could tell you some tales straight from the horse's ( ummm lecturer's ) mouth .........

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

The Germans have been doing it for decades with their 'Tonmeister' courses.

At least the graduates have a small possibility of a related job opportunity - unlike some UK graduate courses I could mention.

Grahaam

Reply to
Pooh Bear

But I am not specifically discussing those at that level, I am discussing "all those people that call themselves sound engineers". In electronic engineering, you really don't get many claiming that who do not at least have some formal qualification. In sound, there are millions of the little buggers that all *claim* to be a "sound engineer".

This is not about intelligence. Its about educational level, and training.

Probabbly, not. Why do you propose this is the case?

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

Lotsa people, apparently. Australia graduates about 1000 recording engineers a year, in a country where there are maybe 30 jobs a year. Go figure what will happen if you tell them to "shove it".

Reply to
Clifford Heath

An aside, but on the subject of simple "recording engineers" who do so much more, everybody here should watch the documentary "Tom Dowd and the Language of Music".

Tom Dowd's first recording was "If I knew you were coming I'd have baked a cake" in 1949 and he went onward and ever so upward from there, getting more and more into the music and producing than being a recording engineer, while still having huge technical achievements. His life before 1949 is interesting too :-)

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Back in the late '70s Tommy came down to our studio a couple of times to work on ABB albums while I was head of production. The man was a unique combination of composer/arranger/engineer with an extraudinary mind for business. He was not as proficient with our "new fangled" digital equipment as our house engineers but he knew what he wanted and how to get it. A truly amazing person.

-- Glenn Ashmore

I'm building a 45' cutter in strip/composite. Watch my progress (or lack there of) at:

Shameless Commercial Division:

Glenn Ashmore

Know exactly what you mean by a "coffee simulator", we have those here to encourage folk to go pay for the real stuff instead.

Regards Ian

Reply to
Ian

I'm not in Australia, and I had my fill of maintaining the equipment running a board for morons who have no concept of a good session. Anyone who is too important to speak with people they have to work with isn't worth wasting my time on.