Top Engineer Who Died in Porsche Crash (2023 Update)

I recall a story about an electrical engineer from the early days of integrated circuits who died when he crashed his Porsche. But I can't find a name.

I thought it was Bob Widlar, but he died while jogging. Is this a made up story, or am I just not remembering the right designer?

Reply to
Ricky

torsdag den 29. december 2022 kl. 18.43.25 UTC+1 skrev Ricky:

sure it wasn't a VW beetle? Bob Pease

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

That was relatively recent. I'm thinking of someone who died relatively early in his career.

In trying to dig this up, I found any number of people who died in Porsche accidents. In fact, the 911 has a nickname, Widowmaker.

Maybe I'm confusing two different stories.

Reply to
Ricky

Was it Eagle Computer?

The CEO Dennis Barnhart died in a Ferrari crash, though he also owned a Porsche:

bitrex

I saw that article. No, I've never heard of this guy, or Eagle computer for that matter. Were they building something new or was it just another PC clone?

I remember the early days of Gateway and Dell. Both were small companies that continued to grow. I guess Gateway eventually was absorbed by an amoebic blob, possibly Dell, I don't recall.

Reply to
Ricky

Lasse Langwadt Christensen snipped-for-privacy@fonz.dk wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

All Porsches are VWs. VW owns Porsche.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

fredag den 30. december 2022 kl. 20.29.14 UTC+1 skrev snipped-for-privacy@decadence.org:

not until about 10 years ago when Porsche AG was merged into VW.

and the Porsche SE own a large part of VW and has majority voting rights

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Am 30.12.22 um 22:03 schrieb Lasse Langwadt Christensen:

Porsche tried to aquire VW but they did not succeed. Then VW did it the other way.

Cheers, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

fredag den 30. december 2022 kl. 22.16.28 UTC+1 skrev Gerhard Hoffmann:

yes so in the end Porsche AG the car company was merged into the VW, but the company Porsche SE still owns a large part of VW and has more than half the votes in VW

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

What exactly is Porsche SE? I assume AG is Auto Group?

Reply to
Ricky

Am 31.12.22 um 01:55 schrieb Ricky:

Don't know about SE, but AG is a company based on shares that might traded at a stock exchange. (Aktien-Gesellschaft)

cheers, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

That was an interesting rabbit hole. I thought I understood until I saw that both Porsche AG and Volkswagen AG are publicly traded as separate entities. It's very confusing and I don't think I need to know any more.

Thanks.

Reply to
Ricky

That's a myth - the truth being that if someone didn't want to work at a camp, they were transferred.

"Germans were not forced to be killers. Those who refused to participate were given other assignments or transferred. To this day no one has found an example of a German who was executed for refusing to take part in the killing of Jews or other civilians."

Bob Engelhardt

Pease used to live near us. His front yard and many parking spaces on the street were full of ratty rusty Beetles and VW vans, each full of junk. They looked like death traps and one was. Ironically, he wrote a book on safe driving.

A really bad book on safe driving, in fact. I bought it on spec when my kids were teenagers, because I really like his book on troubleshooting. (They hated it.) His book on analog design is also bad.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I met Pease on one of his tours, and bought a few books, including the one on safe driving, and did wonder when he died in a one-car crash and, strikingly, was _not_ wearing his seat belt - he very strongly recommended use of seatbelts.

He was returning from the funeral of Jim Williams, and I always wondered if he was maybe a bit drunk, and fell asleep at the wheel.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

IIRC he was still on the property where the funeral was held, so maybe he hadn't put it on yet. (A bad habit I sometimes fall into.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Where do you think they got people to fight on the eastern front?

Reply to
Ricky

The western forces tried denazification, but it turned out that that involved sacking most civil servants and managers. After doing so, unrest arose due to the lack of services and low productivity, and the denazification was stopped and reversed. After all, the US wanted Germany off its back as the Korean war started, and wanted to avoid unrest to prevent an increasing Soviet influence. In Iraq, the US continued with desadamization and left the country in chaos, so many unhappy citizens and professionals joined the IS.

Reply to
Wim Ton