Recording LP's to PC ?

I can not afford to purchase an all singing and dancing box of tricks so that I can record my LP's to my PC.

Would anyone have a circuit diagram for phono in and USB out please, or even phono in and 3.5mm jack plug out so that it could be plugged into the back of PC

James

Reply to
the_constructor

How about taking the phono out, plugging that into sound card's Line In, then using Audacity to capture the music?

All you need is a wire like this

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

I tried that first Michael, but there was no sound whatsoever. I am sure that something needs to be between the pickup cartridge of the record player and the PC.... James

Reply to
the_constructor

The search tern is "phono preamp." Unfortunately, I haven't seen a simple one offered over-the-counter in years.

Reply to
Stephen J. Rush

Oh, James. Thanks for the laugh.

Bob

Reply to
BobW

Yes , what you need is a stereo, connect your phono to its phono input and connect your stereo line out to your sound card line in. Added quality: connect the metal case of your stereo to the metal case of your computer. And clean your records carefully. Oh, and use indeed audicty to record.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

I am so glad you think it is amusing Bob

James

Reply to
the_constructor

Try plugging it in the MIC input of your source card.

"

Reply to
Jamie

...because it's nonsense. The output of a turntable cartridge is less than a millivolt. He has also not accounted for the RIAA Equalization Curve.

Jamie's *Mic Input* suggestion addresses #1--but not #2. (Mic inputs are not *stereo* either.)

Any decent stereo system has jacks on its rear

to use for a pickoff to go to a tape recorder. Get an RCA(phono)-to-1/8" stereo patch cord.

Reply to
JeffM

Jaycar at least have a simple pre-amp going as a kit. I bet there would be others! Jeff is right, if you dont have the proper equalization for your cartridge the reproduction wont be good.

--
Cheers ............. Rheilly
Reply to

not all mic inputs are mono. for example, mine is stereo. so . what ever..

--
"I\'d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

"Daily Thought:

  SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT
  THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"
Reply to
Jamie

Yes, you need a preamp with RIAA EQ. Connect the output of this to your sound card's line input.

On Semi's AND8177/D has a very suitable example. See Figure 3. 2 required one for each channel of course. You don't HAVE to use the precision values indicated like 49.9 kOhms but it's easy enough to make them up by putting a couple of resistors in series (or parallel).

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Not terribly helpful advice Jamie.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Why not. The MIC input could be sensible enough for the phono output and the RIAA equalization could be made with Audacity.

An external preamp is better.

Reply to
Martin D. Bartsch

I made a couple of this, works great

krajnc.karlo

Sensible ? You mean sensitive ?

2 things. MOST mic inputs by far are MONO ! AND the input impedance is totally wrong for apickup cartridge..

How exactly ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Well, ok, I made a mistake there, It should have been sound card. And in any case, It does work with my sound card on the PC I have now. Last year I connected my direct drive Realistic turn table to get some of my old albums over to CD.. It works very nice.

You know, I don't care what they say about you, you can be civilized now and then! :)

--
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"
Reply to
Jamie

On Apr 4, 6:54=A0pm, Eeyore wrote: > the_constructor wrote: > > I am sure that something needs to be between the pickup cartridge of the > > record player > > and the PC.... >

A _possible_ problem with this approach is overloading of the line level input. Perhaps other motherboards behave better but my Gigabyte sound input has the gain control after the input stage. Signal levels less than 2 V p-p cause problems for me. The cheapy solution I use is an in-line L-pad attenuator constructed on a 4 RCA jack strip from Radio Shack.

10k0 in series with 2k32 to ground works well for me.

GG

Reply to
stratus46

I would like to thank everyone who took the time to answer my request for information. I think I shall be having a close look at this.

I have the majority of the components in the junk box just have to make the boards. Thanks again James

Reply to
the_constructor

MIC inputs are notoriously noisy, besides being mono. They also tend to deliberately roll off the high frequencies (above 9 kHz or so), whereas LINE inputs are usually flat up until nearly half the sample rate.

But there is another problem with software equalization, even assuming you knew the mic input reponse and could correct for it: The RIAA EQ curve requires a lot of low-end gain. When you do this with software it is obviously done *after* the A/D quantization, which means you are boosting the quantization noise (by about 18 dB at 40 Hz). This isn't by itself a deal-breaker since it only means you have effectively a

13-bit A/D instead of a 16-bit at those frequencies, and the vinyl noise will probably mask this loss anyway (or self-dither it). But in general it makes sense to avoid this issue if you can.

Just a thought...

Bob Masta DAQARTA v3.50 Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, FREE Signal Generator Science with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta